Skeeters' - I hate them little critters!!

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, May 14, 2018.

1. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I think I'd rather get bit than wear a blue bucket on my head.
    Yankees are so funny!

cast&blast likes this.
  2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Don't know if "yellow flies" are what we call "deer flies" (because ours aren't hard to kill but such a pain that they'll make you appreciate mosquitoes), but the first place I heard of the sticky blue solo cup trick was from the crew at Lacasine National Wildlife Refuge in SW Louisiana. Surprises me that it might work, as they've always seemed more attracted to light colors than dark.

3. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

Coppertone Sport sun block cream. I heard about this stuff but didn't believe it. I was in the boat one day being killed by those things and remembered about the sun block. Put some on and those little buggers disappeared.

stevena198301 and widgeon like this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My grandmother used to swear by Avon Skin-So-Soft, for skeeters and flies/gnats.

take'm likes this.
  5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Worked for me hunting turkeys in Alabama, but it's among the things Louisiana mosquitoes call "sauce," a category which includes Repel's non-DEET euca-whats-it formula.

Have also heard wiping down with Bounty Drier sheets puts them off but haven't tried it.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

Tried it....gravy. Not calling gramma a liar, lord no, just didn't work for me.

stevena198301 likes this.
  7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    My Granddaddy used to tell me to just wipe down with "coal-oil" and go on. It never worked for me but he always got a kick out of me smelling like a lantern all the time in the summer. He used to say, "Go away boy, cant you see Im smoking"??

Me & Maggs........

8. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

A lot of the farmers around here swear by this product for keeping the gnats away. Good luck explaining to your wife why you smell like a cat house though. 51xGDQgZTaL._SY355_.jpg

9. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

I remember, as a kid, going to MN with the family and going fishing. It was cool in the mornings and I had a light wind breaker on. Dang black flies bit through the cloth and felt like being touched with a soldering iron.
    Hunting turkeys in south GA in the fall, it was warm and I had dressed accordingly complete with a camo mesh back trucker hat (back in the mid 80s). I had a tom coming, down in a creek bottom, but not just real fast. Sand gnats got through the mesh in the hat and were wearing me out. I wanted to rip that hat off and go to scratching but that would have spooked the turkey. I stood it as long as I could, shot the turkey at 50 yards and went for relief scratching my head as fast as I could.
    I don't know what kind of fly it is but it's bite is like being stabbed with an ice pick. It kinda looks like cross between a fly and a moth. Has long, swept back delta wings that are mostly clear with dark stripes going across them. About 1 1/4" long but not very sturdy looking.

10. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

Try absorbine jr. Especially for those ddn gnats. I’m one of those people that everything bites. It works and it’s really easy to apply. When they start coming back just re-apply. The mention of horse flys reminded me of the horse fly game we used to play. When I was 10-12 yrs. old my buddies and I would play the game when we would go to the city pool. We’d watch like hawks to see a horse fly land on the back of a woman sunbathing in a bikini with the straps undone so as not to get tan lines. When one of us spotted a horse fly land on the back one of them, we would give out a whistle to alert the other guys then hurry to get in position for a booby view when they jumped because the fly bit the fire out of them. Man those things can give a hurtful bite and make a heck of a welt, but we liked them a lot and got a good education on boobs. Aww..... good times :dv Ok I’ll fess up.... I still play the game when opportunity arises.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    lax, tcc, callinfowl and 1 other person like this.