Skinned and Plucked... Time to Cook

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Jun 25, 2019.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

You killed it, you either plucked or skinned it, now it's time to cook a meal. I have to admit, I'm a pretty boring cook when it comes to ducks and geese. I'm a sautéed duck strip or grilled breast kind of guy. I've roasted a few and always enjoyed the meal, but I know there are other ways to prepare them.

Anybody have a recipe they're willing to share? I know @pentail has a few he might be willing to post. Anyone else?

2. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Ive been looking for ideas myself. We have our duck blind drawing in a month. A few of us saved some birds for the predraw party. Trying to decide how we want to cook them to fuel up before the festivities.

3. dukkalr

dukkalr Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I'd take a few breasts and cut into 1/4"ish strips, and drag em thru egg wash(optional) and roll in a flour dredge that has a good bit of garlic salt in it,,,,pan cook to desired doneness ,they are good hot but better when you put a bunch that has been cooked into bowl and throw em in the fridge, the flavor soaks thru them over night better,,,,,, eat em the next day cold,,, dang things are like eating popcorn,,,, first time I tried it that way my hunting buddy did it and brought a gallon baggie about 3/4 full to the blind,,, I couldn't sleep my hand out of them,,, been eating them like that ever since

4. pgquackstacker

pgquackstacker Senior Refuge Member

1. Pluck a duck with good fat
    2. Rub some olive oil on it, then squeeze some lime juice on it
    3. Season it with your preferred seasonings, I use Tony’s, pepper, garlic powder and Italian seasoning
    4. Throw it in the oven until 120, then kick it on broil for a few minutes to crisp the skin a little and you’re ready to eat

5. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Duck fajitas are good and last tart started smoking them really good once you get it down

6. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Grind them up and .make Spaghetti or Tacos,good stuff.

7. Coho

Coho Moderator Emeritus Supporting Member Moderator

widgeon likes this.
  8. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I take my plucked & skin duck breasts sprinkle a little Tony Cachere's broil or grill to Med-Rare! Reminds me of a M-R steak.

widgeon likes this.
  9. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

The duck steak from the first video is great with fresh duck. Especially over a hardwood fire.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

Have posted many times, have gotten great responses for those that have tried it.
    This is for when you don't want to go to great lengths to make a meal, or snack.

Skinned duck breast. Starts out about 3/4", so pound it to half that, or less. Enough that it stays together, but the meat fibers are broken up.

While you are pounding, put the pan on the fire. Cast iron is best, but any pan will do.

Make up some breading, of your choice. I just use plain ole flour, with chili powder and pepper, dash of salt. For this dish, I don't recommend bread crumbs or the like. But, you can. (heavier breading will just sluff off in the later steps)

Your pan is smoking hot now. I prefer bacon grease, or butter, but oil is ok also. Put in the grease/oil, dredge your breasts in the flour, and place in pan. 4 breasts fit in my pan. If the pan is properly hot, by the time you finish putting the last one in, the first is ready to flip. Should be just browned. After the last one is flipped, another 30 seconds, and they are ready to come out. Should be RARE. 'Maybe' med rare.

Now, set them aside on a plate, all flat to the plate. (not piled on top of each other) Let them cool.

Slice them against the grain, in about 1/2" to 3/4". NOW, here is the kicker. Place them in a plastic baggie, and cover them with something with vinegar in it. It can be pepperoncini slices, Banana peppers, Gardenia mix, or salsa. I prefer the Green Salsa. Get enough liquid to cover, then roll up the baggie to expel the air. Put in fridge overnight.

I do this for blind snacks. If I have a partner, or meet someone and offer some, there is never any left. It just falls apart in your mouth. I have given samples at the hut, and everyone thinks it is elk, or moose. Nobody 'says' they like duck, and when I tell them it is duck, they find it hard to believe. Then they want another piece.

For an actual meal, just heat up and put over rice or noodles. A little water in the pan makes for more gravy. The breading negates the spice factor of the salsa, so even if someone does not like spicy food (my Wife) they still like this. If you want the 'spice' back, just add some more salsa.

I said this is easy. It took longer to type this out than to make it. The downside is the overnight soak in the salsa. The vinegar breaks down the meat fibers, making it fork tender. You won't need a knife. However, you DO need to do the soak. It is simply not the same if you don't let it soak overnight. It will last 3-5 days in the fridge.

widgeon likes this.