slide in pickup camper

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bad dog, Jan 8, 2019.

1. BigSkyDuk

BigSkyDuk Senior Refuge Member

I have one, a pop up Palomino. It goes in my 6.5 ft F150. Here’s my two cents:

• Overall it’s a nice camper. Like others have said, a camper for the wife and I is a place to sleep and hide out from the rain, not spend all day inside. That said, it’s cramped with both of us plus the dog. And forget about having the neighbors over for a beer or game of cards while waiting out the rain.
    • Our bed is “north-south”, as in it goes the same direction as the pickup. This is HUGE in a truck camper, because there’s only one way to that bunk and if your bed is “east-west” somebody’s getting climbed over.
    • It is a pain to load and unload. I’m getting decent at it, and it’s still a 30 min process, minimum. We were cheap and didn’t spring for then remote controlled electric jacks, which would probably help a lot, but I usually need 3 tries to get it lined up right for loading. This is the number one reason our next outfit will be a pull camper.
    • We got ours with the intention of pulling a boat also... now, I’m not so sure. Weight is part of the issue, and I have a 1/2 ton so I’m about out of capacity, but the truck is handling everything fine. However, rear vision is very compromised with the camper on, and I think backing a boat would be tough. Plus, I’d be nervous on all but the best boat ramps with all that weight behind me wanting to go downhill. You can buy a camera that links to your dash screen (if you have one) that might help. I have seen one guy with a TC pull a boat out with a one-ton diesel and it didn’t look fun.
    • It’s not a cheap camper to buy. For similar money you can have a decent pull behind.
    I know that sounds like a gripe fest, truth is like I said it’s an enjoyable camper for us. We just don’t use it much and I think some of that is the loading/unloading process deterring us.

2. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

Ours was as Big Sky so yeah that is huge in regards to sleeping. Ours did not have electric jacks but I made attachments to use the cordless drill to run things up and down. We would set up and drive out from under the camper to run around with the boat. Thus we had a lot less packing and unpacking.

Buddy bought a unit that works in his short box that has a drop down out of the bed. Insert of sort goes into the receiver and locks the unit to the truck. Havent went with him in it yet but he likes it a lot more than his old slide in unit for a full size.

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

There is a company just south of Kalispell MT called S&S. The only thing that they build are cab-overs and they are nice ones. I sold them some manufacturing equipment and when I toured their plant and looked through some of the completed trailers they were very nice.

4. Peenoe Hunter

Peenoe Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I had a 11' footer, completely self contained It had been to northern Quebec to Key West and from Gaspe to Cabo . I have hunted and fished from it towing boats at times. It was great

5. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I have shopped and looked at a lot of truck campers. I am surprised how many have water damage or have been repaired due to leaking. It seems most leak or are just waiting to leak. My buddy sold his Capri Cowboy Camper and I probably should have bought it. I have spent plenty of nights in a truck topper on a cot. The most comfortable hunting truck I had was a full sized van with a bed/table in the back. I used to slide my 10' hunting canoe completely inside full of decoys. I think some day I will probably get another van, just wish they were 4x4.

6. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

When I was looking at them for a short bit it was surprising how heavy they were. You pretty much need a 1 ton truck if you have an 8ft bed. Many 3/4 ton trucks lack the payload capacity to do it. My gas 250 has about 3000lb payload. My buddy who has a similar truck but with a diesel only is rated for 2100. That's gas, people, stuff, and tongue weight if there is a trailer on the back. starts adding up quick. Before you know if there isn't enough payload left for the camper shell.

7. newduk

newduk Elite Refuge Member

Used to love tent camping, been years since I've camped (wifey is not so much of a nature lover as me). I could stand the deer, elk etc close to the tent, but bear....ummm, naw.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Winnebago Revel

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I wish someone would build a mini toyhauler type deal for boats snd/or a single atv. They're a nice setup but most are massive and heavy.

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The neat thing about black bears they need to be very close to hear them,.. often their breathing not footsteps. Our black bears are smaller in Idaho, Ive never had a grizzly in camp
    Yep most are
    Were going to pick up a 12 foot next month https://dunesport.com/toy-hauler/build/bumper-pull
    Everything I wanted a cilening munted bed, high ceilings. set up for winter camping, bath shower and 102 inches of ATV room