slide in pickup camper

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by bad dog, Jan 8, 2019.

1. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

That last sentence is the crux of the whole deal; what to do with the boat?
    Seems really the only good solution is to tent camp if toting a boat.

Vammy likes this.
  2. Old Carver

Old Carver Senior Refuge Member

Our set up was the travel trailer pulled behind the truck. I have a ladder rack so the jon boat goes on that (keel up, bow forward) . all my hunting stuff in the bed of the truck. I could set up the trailer, disconnect, pull the boat down and put it in the bed of the truck(bow out). I could get the boat loaded and rigged the night before. In the morning I back near the water and slide the boat out. I hunted lakes like that in SD and MT for years. Simple and mobile.
    Some of those campers are huge. How do you guys load/off load those? Do they stay on for the season? Curious cause my one mishap made me gun shy of them.

3. Sault Ste. Marie

Sault Ste. Marie Elite Refuge Member

'Give me 40 acres to turn this rig around':eek:. It must have a beefy frame to keep from buckling in the middle.

4. Sault Ste. Marie

5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Pickups toting travel trailers aren't exactly know for being fuel misers either though.

6. Sault Ste. Marie

True, dat.:z

7. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

Just got back from the Tulsa Boat/Sport/Travel show; one of the trailer dealers had a sign on a trailer that said "best warranty in the business, covers everything except your crazy idea to tow trailer and a boat"

:l:l

tcc likes this.
  8. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

Out here it is very common to see trucks pulling campers and boats of all sizes behind campers.

9. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I've backed up a few gravity wagons. It's an art that isn't easily learned.

10. Vammy

Vammy Senior Refuge Member

No doubt, a lot of people do it. I've seen a couple of wrecks where people are towing a bumper pull trailer and a boat. One in particular always sticks in my mind...the guy obviously wanted to pull into the Cabela's store in Kearney, NE, and couldn't get slowed down. Boat trailer started swinging, got the camper swinging, which rolled over on its side still connected to the truck. Truck was azz-end up in the air (it stayed upright though) The boat was also still connected, wheels off the ground dragging the motor skeg into the pavement. He did manage to keep this mess in the east bound lane of the highway.

More than one definition of "don't do ball on ball", and this is one of them.:l