Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

I never imagined me not hunting ever, but I am starting to wonder. I use to hunt no less then 45 days out of 60. I also use to think one could buy a license in another state to shoot a limit of birds there as well, so run that total to well over 70 hunts per year.

Well now I find myself taking vacations during hunting seasons and not for hunting either. Seems like I am losing my must hunt or die mentality.

Any guys on this site slow down their hunting as they get older?

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Sure it's going to happen. Our age and body limits are the most controlling factor. Add on the increasing costs of everything and it's easy to loose the hard drive of years before. Plus,where we hunt,the duck numbers are fewer every year. I use to hunt everyday of the season,now I try to take a day off every week to regroup and then get back at it. Gone are the days in pouring rain,busting ice etc.

WHUP ! Hen and Lip Shooter like this.
  3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Lip - how old are you getting to be?

I've noticed over the last 5 years the same phenomenon. Part of it is that I'm just not that mad at 'em anymore, part is that I have less tolerance for other people's bs.

10 years ago I was 60 days minimum, and I'd skip work or family stuff to squeeze a hunt in. Now I'm 2 days a week max and I find myself oftentimes just going because the dog wants to and the sights and sounds still captivate me.

4. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yup, I even said this to a buddy of mine. When my brother was alive & we were in our late teens to early 30's we'd go duck hunting during a blizzard, monsoon, etc. Now @ 63 I just ain't all that hip about it. Humping dekes, walking a mile in waders, buddy's dog, etc. a real pain in the arse. Now if we had a nice body of water, a nice blind I probably wouldn't think this way.

5. JBdogboy

JBdogboy Refuge Member

I have quit this year it's all done and over for me. Not heath reasons (only 57) or cost but the big guy upstairs changing everything in April.Lost
    my brother he was (54) we hunted,fished,camped the hole outdoors life together since he was 6 years old. There will no longer be any I got it no I got it competition or sitting in blind early morning shooting the breeze waiting for the birds. Listen to him brag to others on how well my dogs did. Also lost my Bubba (firebreather) black lab (12 years old) in July.
    Our plans where to hunt till he turned seventy I would be seventy-three then we were going to retire and sit on the front porch throwing tennis balls for the dogs and shooting at salesmen with our shotguns like in the movie Secondhand Lion that movie was the two of us to a tee.
    I have lost the drive just waiting now for the big man to come and get me so I can be laid down next to my brother (I have the two plots next to him and his wife for me and wife).

rhpierce, WoodieSC and Lip Shooter like this.
  6. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, I think it happens to us all at some point. I will be 62 in a couple months. One of the problems with duck hunting is that I hunted all the hard to get to places. Hunting was great and no competition. That’s hard to do these days for a couple of ducks, especially when hunting alone. I do enjoy taking young guys out, especially ones that do not know what good hunting is about. I have switched up a bit, more into upland now. Lots of walking and lots of different country to hunt. Also took up trapping a few years ago, something I knew nothing about. The learning has been fun. It can be hard work too. Water season starts Saturday, looking forward to.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  7. goosnit

goosnit Senior Refuge Member

I'm in the same boat as you guy's . When I was younger I thought I'd hunt til I die , hunted out of state . Bow/slug hunted , pheasant hunted . It hit me last year , I'm 55 now . I work construction , over the years I've had 7 knee surgeries , my body aches and the cold is starting to bother me . I just hunt the weekends for waterfowl now . God love you gentlemen who are older than me and are still hunting . :tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu:tu

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. mallardhunter

mallardhunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm 68. Still doing the same stuff I did when I was 30, not as often, not as well, and not as quickly. I lost my Dad about 20 years ago. It took me 19 years to go dove hunting again, as he and I dove hunted together since I could walk. My little brother talked me into taking a drive and hunted with him. Best idea ever. I had a ball. I do understand how losing a close hunting partner can take some of the enthusiasm out of the adventure. The older you get, the more of them you lose.

rhpierce, schne002, Birdcrazy and 2 others like this.
  9. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

My dad is 73, I have noticed over the years that he only hunts a day or 2 in a row and then takes a few days off. Used to be that if I was killing ducks and he was home it would drive him nuts. Now, he doesnt even ask how we did or even call during the hunts he is not there. I am trying to make each hunt with him count as I see fewer and fewer hunts in our future.

4 BUCK and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  10. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I am sorry for your losses and wish you the best handling your grief going forward.

JBdogboy likes this.