Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Dehunter

Dehunter New Member

65 years old and still love the sunrises and the comorodie of the duck blind. Hunting with son and grandson makes it even better . Nothing better than watching my 9 year old grandson shooting ducks. Some of our group been hunting together for 30 plus years. I won't attempt the marsh we have blinds in alone, as its a nasty muddy mess, and easy to get stuck it. Gave up most of my deer hunting as we lost the farm we hunted for 30 years do to death of the owner . But I have no regrets as I killed more deer than most people ever had a chance at. most of my hunting partner still work so that's the issue with my times out. Always looking forward to the next time out.

2. Bob D

Bob D Refuge Member

I gave it up 2 yrs ago when I turned 76. I hunted public land in Illinois. Would go to Banner walk-in and down to Rend lake. I still want to go but my body won't do what my mind tells it to do. Can't walk that mile or two or stand in water up to my waist all day. I like to look at all the post and duck counts. I really miss it.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I was away Thanksgiving for our opener. My friends went and described their lousy day. Seems a flock came in and caught then BS’ing but they still downed 2. Then flocks came over yet flared. They didn’t have my PVC pipe roof, spring loaded so the birds could see right into the blind. They shoulda swung by my house and borrowed it. Na, na, na na. Na. Probably someone had to look up at the birds cause they would look so different than the last 2 million flocks that we have seen overhead, and flared them. Then they dropped another bird from another flock. Just one? I rubbed into the wound. I was going nuts on the phone and my heart rate increasing just picturing it while hearing the story. I like that. We were laughing like helll and good cheer in my heart.
    I’m 62, and at times I creckitz around, complaining about this and that when in reality I have absolutely nothing to complain about, only should be counting my blessings. Now with recently buying a new longtail mud motor, finding yet 2 more farms we can hunt, 2 buddies buying new guns for the season, some new decoys, picturing all the new shallow coves we now have easy access to with the new motor, going to bed every night picturing the next hunt in hidden coves and drifting off....I’m invigorated.
    As we know, no matter what age, this sport, this obsession, this way of life that few people except waterfowlers understand.....is a hard sport. Either you love it totally of you drift from it cause there are so many reasons to pack it in. It takes a lot of work, sometimes discomfort, but the rewards are great. But, I get it and I respect a man’s decision. I admit, I’m a bit touched in the head with this sport, but whatta ya gonna do. It makes me extremely happy and I’m not hurting anyone and I’m good for the economy.
    ......Tell me something Boys, is it a fire hazard to strap an old man to a mud motor tiller and also strap an oxygen tank to the balance pole?
    Rock on....Hunt on Boys. Were going tomorrow and I can’t wait. Hope I don’t wet the bed tonight!

duckbuster5901 and hunting1 like this.
  4. schne002

schne002 New Member

Sorry for the loss of your brother and pup. I stopped fishing the bay for 5 years after my dad passed as we were always the team. I figured out finally that he would want me to carry on and continue to enjoy the outdoors. In both fishing and hunting I don't have the fire I once had and while I am approaching 70, I still get out in the field and on the Chesapeake when I can. I hope you can find your way to get out once again.

5. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to the Refuge!

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

I think it's all revelant. As we all get older,there's things you just can't do when you were much younger. The key is to recognize your limitations and adapt to them and keep on going. Even if you can't get out but A few times each season, or hire a guide service to do the leg work and get out there and hunt. Remember...we are all water fowlers!