Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

W/ age comes concessions. I may not hunt as much as I used to - but I make sure that my hunts are better quality.

Lip Shooter likes this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I am in my mid-60s and love to duck hunt as much as I ever did. I guess because it is my favorite thing to do it has not diminished. This year will be a challenge. I have come down with an auto-immune disease that has me every morning feeling like I was run over by a truck until the steroid meds kick in. I am working with the doc to get the meds dialed in and until that point it is hard to answer the bell in the morning. I have also had to put triathlon, another important pursuit, on the back burner.

So my message to all is to do what you like as often as you can because one day it can all drastically change or even come to an end due to circumstances beyond your control.

Neil Dille and likesbigspreads like this.
  3. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

I'm 75 and still hunt almost as much as I ever have.

4. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I'm 71 and in reasonably good health. Definitely not the bull I was even a decade ago. But, who is?
    When I was young, every day I could hunt something, I did. Same with fishing. It started slowing down when I decided not to hunt ice anymore, as I almost lost my dog. Sixteen years later, losing hunting partners-for multiple reasons including death, waning night vision (ain't gonna drive a couple hours in the dark of night anymore), not having places to go, etc., if I go a dozen times a year, that's a lot.
    Someone mentioned having a comfortable blind with easy access might keep them in the game longer. To that, I totally agree, but we still have to do brushing, put out and pick up decoys, etc, and that gets harder every year.
    I'm sitting here looking at my 10 yr. old and 4 mo. old labs, and I wonder why, why, WHY did I get another pup?!!!! Well, maybe I'll find a few young guys that don't mind hauling an old fart around a couple of days a week, especially if he has a retriever. But, maybe not.

Mort, 4 BUCK and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  5. JBdogboy

JBdogboy Refuge Member

Thanks Hayden,
    It's even harder today I would have been leaving this afternoon to start our 3 day weekends for the hole seasons. (750 miles there 750 miles back) every weekend from the end of Oct. till mid of Dec. He's my younger but bigger brother he does look older than me and that is my Bubba (10) in the photo FB_IMG_1524142439660.jpg

6. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Mine is more by choice at this point although I know the writing is on the wall in the next 10-15 years. Life changes and, like you, I am spending more time enjoying traveling with my wife than I do when I do go hunting. The change was getting out of my toxic marriage that hunting was my way to cope and finding someone that I want to spend time doing things with. Keep wanting to get back down to AR but freezing in the timber on public ground loses its appeal when I can be sitting on a beach with free drinks and my bikini clad wife......

7. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

riverrat47 - I lost my 12 yr old last April. Went and got another pup the following week. Fortunately the kennel had a couple that looked like they had possibilities. I think we get the pups to help keep us going. This one has me. He swims like he is trying to swim on top of the water!!! Amazing to watch.
    I turn 70 next month. Pretty good physical health but it ain't what it used to be. Takes 3 days to do what I used to be able to do in 1 !!! At least I still enjoy doing it and that helps keep me going. Someone else mentioned the BS of the "other hunters". I agree somewhat. The kill kill kill on the waterfowl hunting TV and You tube videos has turned a lot of the younger generation into shooters and not hunters. Opening day here in the Central Zone this Saturday. Our place is solid millet for a change this year. We kept all the high water out and millet is ripe. A lot of wood ducks and teal so far. I will be setting in a shore blind watching the others. Don't want my pup in a blind with everyone banging away. He can watch w/ me and retrieve some during the lulls. As much drive as he has it will be hard to keep him just watching but also excellent patience training.

Duck_Hunter_TX and riverrat47 like this.
  8. hartfish

hartfish Elite Refuge Member

Like others here, I've lost the fire I used to have. Part of that has to do with where I live and hunt. The duck hunting sucks, the deer clubs around my land shoot everything that moves so the chances of seeing a really good buck are slim. The older I get, the more I've turned into one of those "trophy" hunters. I couldn't care less if I shoot another basket-racked 8-pointer. I haven't shot a buck in years and one doe in the last several. I eat venison, but I'll take a ribeye over deer tenderloin. That and I can't take sitting in a tree more than an hour or two anymore. I'd rather take my gun for a walk. Quail are few and far between. I take my setter woodcock hunting frequently and do pretty well, but those things taste like ***. I sometimes miss on purpose, but don't tell my dog.

The spring turkey hunting is decent, but I find myself hoping the bird I'm working doesn't come into range. I just don't like messing with stuff at the end of the hunt anymore. Which is one reason I spend more time fly fishing for trout. Catch and release. No fish to clean at the end of the day.

I would probably still be as enthusiastic as I was 20 years ago if I had better hunting and more variety--good upland bird hunting, spot-and-stalk big game, better duck hunting. I still love hunting out-of-state, but I don't care for the actual travel part. Airports suck.

9. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

WOW! Some of us are getting to be "old Farts!" :l ;)

10. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear all that, sir. Hang in there.