Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear all that, sir. Hang in there.

2. sacbob

sacbob Elite Refuge Member

Never got out near as much as some of you. But, since turning 80 I'm lucky to get in a couple dozen hunts a year And my hunts have become pretty much a walk with a shotgun or a sunny afternoon sitting in a blind. Still I love getting out.:)

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  3. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Sorry to read this. I hope the good Lord puts a kid in your life that needs a hunting mentor and gives you a reason to get back out there. I was a hungry 17 yo kid once who had no family or friends to help me and that’s what I found. It changed my life for the better.

If you do, be sure to teach him about following game laws.

4. Lester Scaup

Lester Scaup Elite Refuge Member

I pulled the plug a couple of years ago. Sold all of my stuff, including the boat and bought a new fishing boat. I'll be 68 in a couple of months and retiring this spring. It was my intention to hunt my butt off when I retired, but I found myself finding more reasons not to hunt then I did in favor of hunting. Several years ago I joined a private goose club because of lack of opportunities, plus I was tired of dealing with the cutthroat nature of public hunting. Well, I found out that I couldn't compete with the young guns who came loaded for bear with two trailers full of dekes. Also found out that there were plenty of jerks in the private clubs as well.
    Do I miss it? Some parts yes, most parts no. I miss the sunrise over a marsh (when I could get a spot), the click of chambering a round first thing in the morning, the sound of wings overhead, the thrill of the called shot, etc.
    Don't miss, getting up at dark thirty, night driving, freezing, staring at the sky and seeing zip, going home at light thirty after not getting in to hunt. Like Riverrat, if I had a guaranteed blind in a decent spot maybe I'd reconsider, but that's not going to happen.

5. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I also am sorry to hear about your loss. I very much encourage you to get another puppy sooner, rather than later, whether you ever decide to go hunting again or not. It will never replace the loss of your brother or Bubba but it sounds to me like you could use some youthful exuberance in your life. I also expect your brother would want you to recognize that living your life to the fullest is the best way to honor their memory and that we are all here to make the most of the time we have. :tu

4 BUCK and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  6. P Frey

P Frey Senior Refuge Member

For me its "life gets in the way". I work Part Time at a private gun club so my dogs get plenty of work, but for myself I hunt very little anymore. I hunt deer less and less every year. Our season opened on October 1st and thinking about going out for the first time tomorrow afternoon.

7. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I've learned over the years that I'd much rather have quality hunts over just hunting. That being said, it makes me go less now but the hunts I do go on are much better. Also, very good public duck hunting as long as you go early to "reserve" your spot.

8. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all honest heart felt replies. To many quotes on this one.

To the guys who say its tge work part holding you back, it maybe but in my case i have awesome spots i can walk to from my current home and my new place is on the sippi. So its not spots being hard just being done with it. I’m bummed my dad quit hunting around my same age. I would bring him straps of mallards but couldn’t get him to field hunt 3 mikes from his house. As a kid he would drive me 4 hours to shoot at ducks. My favorite part of hunting now is goose calling. Bringing in those tough flocks for the youngins to shoot and their smiles and high five. Then the give me some tips on how to call.

Thanks guys!! Makes my 2 weeks down under a bit easier.

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  9. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for all honest heart felt replies. To many quotes on this one.

To the guys who say its tge work part holding you back, it maybe but in my case i have awesome spots i can walk to from my current home and my new place is on the sippi. So its not spots being hard just being done with it. I’m bummed my dad quit hunting around my same age. I would bring him straps of mallards but couldn’t get him to field hunt 3 mikes from his house. As a kid he would drive me 4 hours to shoot at ducks. My favorite part of hunting now is goose calling. Bringing in those tough flocks for the youngins to shoot and their smiles and high five. Then the give me some tips on how to call.

Thanks guys!! Makes my 2 weeks down under a bit easier.

10. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I’ll be 75 in January and my hunting has considerably slowed the past 3 years. I have had both hips, both knees, and right shoulder replaced. I have to wear an orthopedic boot on my right foot so I can get around without agonizing pain, the docs want to replace my ankle, no way.

My Son is 48 yo old and my Grandson is 17 yo. They both have been hunting with me since they were 4 yo. Both are great callers and hunters. We have an ideal place to hunt and a camp 1/4 mile away. They have assured me they have a blind built that I can get in wearing my Sunday shoes. They can wheeler me right up to the blind. I’m going to give it some valiant tries this fall. They can’t believe hunting will be much fun without me. I told them I could stay at the cabin and fix them a big breakfast and they said I can’t cook.

Rebranger, WoodieSC, Mort and 8 others like this.