Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Hey WHUP! It sounds like you raised quite a boy there and he is doing the same with his son. I hope they make it possible for you to hunt a lot with them this year.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

A common thread here is loss of hunting buddies, which in turn leads to loss of motivation. The same has been true for me since most of my partners have quit or moved out of state. Having a new dog is most of the fun now, I am never alone. Without her it would be a problem. Another issue is of course loss of access for many of us. When you had killer hunting it is tough to go back to marginal. I'm still going strong this year, have a new club to hunt and am ready for it to not be in the 80's:z

3. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

I'd say access is another factor that comes into play for me as well. I had a diamond of a little spot for about 10 years before losing it to the deer hunters. Now my options are much less likely to produce the birds so............. and lost my dog in the divorce (another story).

4. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I’m 58 and retired 3 years ago...trying to get my money’s worth out of this retirement gig, while I’ve got the health for it. We’ve all seen unexpected health issues suddenly change people’s lives...and someday it’ll be my turn. In the meantime, I’m going to get after it!
    90%+ of my hunting is public and the refuge I hunt the most is “free roam”...walk in, no blinds. Yesterday I hunted alone, which is fairly rare for me, but my boys were busy. On the way out to the refuge I was on the phone with my son and he says “don’t have an infarction, old man”...I laughed it off. Between the decoys, gun, swamp seat, blind bag and marsh pole, I figure I’ve got an extra 40#, not including waders. I ride a bike about a mile, dump the bike and enter the pond, wade 250 yards through a tule jungle with a pretty soft bottom and then set decoys and brush in where I’ll sit. By the time my butt hits the swamp seat my heart is going a mile a minute. I start thinking...if I did have a heart attack they are gonna have one hell of a time finding me in this tule jungle. After taking a couple minutes to get my heart rate down, I took out my phone and screen shoted my GPS location and texted it to my son...just in case :l

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I'm 40.... from right out of high school for about 15 years I lived from one duck season to the next. Then my dad was diagnosed with cancer and I lost him a little over 4 years ago. He was never a hunter but would always listen to my stories and loved to eat whatever I brought home. When he died something inside of me changed. I can't explain it but I'm not the same person I was before. My brother has had some similar changes as well. We were both extremely close to our father. I am now far more selective about who I'll hunt with and if it's not someone I enjoy being around I tend to decline. I also have no places of my own to hunt but have been fortunate to have friends with some good places. Over the last few years for one reason or another my place on the totem pole has been falling so that has affected my hunting too. The last few years I've gotten more and more back into fishing. I enjoy the peace and solitude on the water by myself. All that being said the cool fall air and the sight of ducks trading around the marsh still stirs my soul, my heart will always be in a duck blind.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I just realize I'm going to be 59 in November. Uggh. I feel it too. Knees ache constantly (I stand at work 8-10 hrs a day) and since my Gracie has developed cataracts, it just isn't the same anymore going out without my dog. It sucks. I slogged through the mud a couple days, and now one of my heels is bruised up and has been sore for nearly 2 weeks now. A couple hunting buddies have given it up, and it is harder to find anyone my age to go with anymore. I try to get out at least twice a week during the season, but in the old days it was 5 or 6 out of 7. I love getting outdoors , and hunting is still my favorite thing to do.

JRS likes this.
  7. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

Everyday I wake up....I want to hunt ducks. Every damn day. 35 years of temps ranging from 101 during early goose to -20 during late goose. A divorce from a woman who told me all I was good at was killing stuff and drinking beer ( couldn't argue that). 2 rescues from the local dive & rescue team. Money I didn't have to buy more gear I didn't need. Public land schmmoo who sleeps half the fall in a boat instead of a warm bed. Wouldn't change a thing. Every damn day.

8. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Well, it's clearly evident that we all are getting older, but it's not a bad thing. Each has our favorite places,perfect dog and longtime hunting partners....all will be relived in our memories. In the big scheme,we are on this Earth a fraction of a second and thank the Lord we will always remain waterfowlers!

metalworx and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  9. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Guys, it's testosterone. As we get older, your levels drops significantly. There are several options, if you want to get back to your old ways.
    Heck there are doctors who have clinic's that only treat "low T". There are also prescription creams, and over the counter pills. I'm 57 and take Ox, from MTN Ops, it makes a difference . Ox has some side effects that my wife really likes.:dv:tu

bill cooksey likes this.
  10. grande long

grande long Refuge Member

Yeah bangs right on life gets tougher the older you get physically.the sport of waterfowling is a lot of work oh and remember all the good you have seen I feel sometimes I should quit while I'm ahead.