Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

002 (1).JPG 028-1.JPG

This old Codger is at least 80... Some of his old runnin' buddies claim he is even older. He got a divorce over crow season in 69(She put up with him hunting every day of duck season but drew the line at crow season.)

He quit duck hunting in 78 to get married and was good till he fell off the wagon in 05.... We have been hunting together ever since. He is a tough nut. We walk in sometimes over 1800 yards on a dry year. I still love to hunt on the bad weather days so even in the boat can be rough.

His biggest surprise is the amount of hunters these days. In the 60s and 70s they hardly ever saw anyone and thought five rigs was a crowd, These days, the same area with have 75+ groups.

As for myself, I used to hunt 3+ days a week where I would hunt till 9 am then go to work and not get home till 8-10 pm at night only to get up at 4 am to do it again... I usually skip those hunts unless it is a quick and easy spot these days. I would rather get done with work and spend all day on a day off.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  2. gock5

gock5 Senior Refuge Member

I lost my puppy last year (August, 11 yrs, Chessie Female) and ended up not hunting at all, took the year off. I'm back in the saddle, duckhunting with my nephew and pheasant hunting with my brotherinlaw and nephew. Just needed some time off, missed the puppy, still do. Will be getting another dog next year. As previously stated, it's hard when you lose your hunting partner.

metalworx and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. Fowler267

4. Fowler267

5. Fowler267

As for the lost dogs... A small part of each of mine still go with me. I have a tuft of hair from each of them in a ziplock bag in my stock.

6. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

I see what you did there and in my opinion that lacks class especially considering the matter of the person you are replying to. You hammered your point in the other thread get over it already.

creedsduckman and Lip Shooter like this.
  7. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

Yes its hitting me. Kids are busy doing things that take me away from it now.

8. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

Lips is kinda slow. He needs a lot of reminders.

9. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

The thing that I think slowed me down the most was when I sold my 13 dozen big foots and bought three dozen Dave Smith‘s. It was an epic mistake and I don’t think I ever recovered mentally. True story!

WHUP ! Hen and brentbullets like this.
  10. Matt Barnard

Matt Barnard Elite Refuge Member

It's getting to me as well. My nephew and his wife took me opening day. Great shoot. Myself and another old friend did a silage field/standing corn hunt that went well. Layout blinds are beyond me. I even have the spring loaded seat. It works, but I am still too slow. I won't wear waders anymore for fear of getting stuck in the muck. I bought an Axe blind and chairs to buy myself some more time. It doesn't work everywhere. I should get an A-Frame. Easier to put up, way more versatile. I haven't sold any decoys yet. I haven't given any guns away. Although the recipients of certain guns and other of my personal treasures have been notified. I am not dead, or even dieing. I just know that my hunting career is coming to an end. I still hope that someone will take the time to take me a couple of times a year. I can't slug the mud, or carry stuff, or even make repeated trips like I could 10 years ago. I don't want to be a burden. I took several old timers to make sure they get out. Early season geese, diver hunts from shore, and standing corn ducks are still doable for us all for now. I am sure this too will change.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.