Slowing down the hunting and when does it end for a guy?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, Oct 25, 2018.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

Probably the time to call a halt is when you no longer feel safe. This can take two forms: 1) You no longer feel physically able to get to the blind/marsh and back, or 2) You (or those in your hunting group) no longer feel 110% competent with your gun handling skills, ie: dropping your weapon, having problems loading/unloading, swinging barrel in unsafe direction to often.
    Hopefully we will realize or someone will tell us before an accident occurs.

Duck_Hunter_TX and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  2. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I sold my duck boat about 9 years ago. Got tired of the hassles and idiots of public hunting. Started field hunting 11 years ago. I don't go as much as I used to mostly because it doesn't trip my trigger as much anymore. There are hunts where I don't even shoot and have hundreds of birds landing right in front of me. I fooled them and that's enough anymore. Seasons around me opened in September in Iowa and 3 weeks ago in my area, Nebraska, haven't set a decoy yet but will this weekend in Iowa with my grandsons and son. I have more private ground to hunt then most and all the gear not don't have the motivation anymore. I never thought that would happen. I will be 59 in a week.

OneShotBandit and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

My two dogs are starting to slow down at 8,most likely one more season before having to leave them home for safety reasons.
    This is the first season that I just dont have the passion and drive for it.
    I would have had our blinds set up weeks ago in years past,have yet to even stake out a spot.
    I would have thought that getting the news that the idiot that used to hunt the spot for 5-6 days a week the last 15 years had moved away and would not be competition this season would have renewed some vigor,but not even that has helped much.
    I'll be 51 a week before Christmas this year,I forsee me selling everything waterfowl/upland once I lose the dogs.
    If you had asked this question 10 years ago,Id have most likely said it would take me becoming totally immobile to hang it up,what a difference a few years make.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  4. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

I’m 51, hunt with my boys that are in their mid 20s, still a lot of fun but everything’s getting tougher and taking longer to do, they’re realizing that and making it easier on me, really kind of sucks cuz it doesn’t seem that long ago I was the one that was watching out for my boys

WHUP ! Hen and riverrat47 like this.
  5. DANNY NEWELL

DANNY NEWELL Elite Refuge Member

I'm 71.In the last 9 years I have had 2 different kinds of cancer and 2 back surgeries.
    I still think about duck hunting every day but I can't get out like I used to.My old body
    won't let me hunt 5 or 6 times a week anymore.On a good note my hunting buddy
    retired so I have some one to hunt with.I still get out by myself some but it takes
    me twice as long to get things done.Most of the guys I used to duck hunt with have
    passed away.
    My 86 yo uncle and I still deer hunt.This year I finally bought a ATV.I really should
    have bought one years ago.

My best friend died of a heart attack 21 years ago in a duck blind.

I always figured I would go when duck or deer hunting.Couldn't think of a better thing
    to be doing when it's time.

Best of luck to every one this year.
    Tomorrow I will start my 60th year of hunting ducks.

Danny

6. NCBADGES

NCBADGES North / South Carolina Flyway Moderator Moderator

I read 3 pages and quit. This thread is just too depressing. I'm 48 with an 18 and 14 year old. I'll hunt as long as they want to go...and maybe a little longer. My 18 year old is in college now and plays baseball, so he doesn't get to come home much, even in the winter months, so my hunting will decrease a little as he is my main hunting partner. As long as I enjoy it and can do it, I will. It's sad to hear how some guys loose the interest, but that's life I guess. I used to hunt 4 or 5 times a week, but now I can only go once or twice a week, on average, but I do still enjoy it. I'll be retiring in a couple of years and I HOPE I still have the drive to keep going. We'll see I guess.

NCB

partyfowl and PorkChop like this.
  7. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

danny ; I think I remember one thing ITHINK!

8. 3labman

3labman Senior Refuge Member

Turned 62 this year and do things slower but they get done. I'm lucky enough to be in a lease with three of my buddies. I used to work three 12 hour night shifts in a row then on our two days off we'd drive 75 miles one way for the chance to draw a decent numbered pill to get to hunt. Won't do that anymore too much of a hassle. Loss of hunting partners is hard but they would mad if we stopped. Medical scare earlier this year changed my outlook on life so I waterfowl hunt every chance I can and wife is happy with that, she knows where I'm at. We travel and do things she wants to do when it's not waterfowl season.

Mort, GK1 and brentbullets like this.
  9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Screw it. II'm hunting in the morning and I'm going to punish the mallards, just like the old days. I'm going to jump in the hot tub for a half hour and have a couple drams of a nice 18 year old scotch before I go to bed, and 'll worry about the sore knees tomorrow . You only live once darn it, and I've laughed at death once, and you never know when your ticket is getting punched.

I'll post the video tomorrow night if it all works out......including the hot tub.

10. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Screw it. II'm hunting in the morning and I'm going to punish the mallards, just like the old days. I'm going to jump in the hot tub for a half hour and have a couple drams of a nice 18 year old scotch before I go to bed, and 'll worry about the sore knees tomorrow . You only live once darn it, and I've laughed at death once, and you never know when your ticket is getting punched.

I'll post the video tomorrow night if it all works out......including the hot tub.