Smartweed seeds

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by boatdriver, Sep 14, 2018.

1. boatdriver

boatdriver Senior Refuge Member

Ok, so our marsh went through a small drought earlier this year, and we have an abundance of Polygonum pensylvanicum, aka, pink smartweed. I've seen some of you folks try to plant this stuff. Do you physically just take the seed heads off of the plant and just scatter it out? What's the max depth that I can disperse these seeds in? I'd like to try to get it more established in certain areas.

Thanks in advance.

2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

I take my wife, kids and grandkids to Smartweed patches, we gather as many as we can. We just pull the pink heads and lay them out to dry. When they are dry you can spin the heads in your hand and the little black seeds will fall out. I think the best time to spread the seed over the area you want to start Smartweed is in November. You don’t need but a few seeds per square foot. I have this done this many times and my 80 acre WRP and it is covered in Smartweed. I simply scatter the seed on bare ground, no need to plant them.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  3. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

True, no need to cover seed. But also don’t need to expose seed from husk. Mother nature will do that for you. Fall is great time as mentioned.

4. boatdriver

Thanks for the replies.... I guess my next burning question is now that the marsh I’m hunting is inundated with our normal water levels, if I scatter the seeds, will they establish themselves? And, is it key to dry them out? Can I gather them now, dry them, then wait until the fall to spread them? What conditions do I need to look for? Temperature?

Thanks

5. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Just put’em on the ground, they’ll grow. In the fall is when Mother Nature does her job and you should too.

6. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Bought 25 lbs pink smartweed seed from seed supplier this past year. They said best if weeds were sprayed prior to planting as it is better if the smartweed seed not compete with weeds, disc the seed bed area, broadcast the seed and run harrow over seed, was best if seed planted no deeper than 1/4".

7. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Who was your supplier?

8. AGS1

AGS1 Refuge Member

Roundstone seed (roundstone.com)

9. boatdriver

I noticed that some of them are starting to bud out with flowers. Do I just collect the ones that haven't budded yet, dry them out, then broadcast them in November?

10. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

Let them continue to flower out as much as possible. The actual seed (tiny black) is within that flower and benefits the longer it has time to mature. If you’re not going to spread them until Nov., I would wait til then to “harvest”. Flower and leaves generally should be close to brown by then depending on your region. It’s fine to pick them when they’re all flowered out, you’ll just have to dry them so the seed will be easier to broadcast later.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.