Smokers- what are you running?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Let Em Work, Mar 15, 2019 at 12:24 AM.

1. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

Walmart special with a side burn area to create smoke. I love it. I like the idea of cutting my own alder wood, or I would have a Treager. There is a lot of it in the klamath area.

I also have a Masterbuilt. Hate that thing for reasons mentioned earlier. Temps are all over the board Also have a Big and Lil Chief. They do a good job.

2. Red foot

Red foot Elite Refuge Member

7pn...klamath alder, little chief? You probably swing brindle bugs and silver hiltons at Johnson riffle?

7pntail likes this.
  3. mark seaters

mark seaters Elite Refuge Member

card board box with wire coat hangers for racks works ok..as long as it don't get to hot !! But when I get fancy its a cabelas unit.. hell I don't even know what it is, but it is ok not fancy as we mostly smoke fish only. When we get redneck and do some meat stuff we'll break out the 55 gallon drum.

We keep our fish smoking pretty simple and like it on the soft side not over cooked for sure hate dried out smoked salmon IMG_8150.JPG

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 11:19 PM
    callinfowl likes this.
  4. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Juicy fruit....

callinfowl likes this.
  5. 1911king

1911king Senior Refuge Member

Traegar is the mojo of smokers!!

callinfowl likes this.
  6. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

7. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

I missed the herring spawns this year or I would have some A1 restaurant quality pilchards right now. Gotta head out soon and get me a couple decent stripers to smoke as well. And oysters.....well, no shortage of those here. Too bad I can't stand to eat them and have to give them all away. About time for another batch of specklebasa come to think if it. Maybe I'll even catch a salmon this year, but hell everybody got smoked salmon.

Dandy

8. blackdog58

blackdog58 Elite Refuge Member

I ran a Bradley for many years. It worked fine, but one had to really pay attention to the temps as it would vary.....and for realitivley no reason. Got a friend that runs the 55 gallon drum. That is money. Green egg? Never heard anyone say but great things about it. I'm running a Traeger currently.

9. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Use a Bradley looking to upgrade but it works good enough.

10. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

I have not used steel barrels for smoking but did build a couple for cooking ducks. Started with a 55 gallon drum, cut an opening along the bottom to weld half a cut off bottom section from I think a twenty gallon drum. Drilled holes just below the top of the fifty to run steel rods through so you could hang hooks that held the ducks while cooking. The principle is you build a fire with Oak, Pecan or Apple in the side fire box and hang the ducks on the steel rods. You could cook with very high heat and the drippings would fall down and not catch fire creating nasty soot because the firebox is offset. I debone, marinade and cook ducks on a grill, but when I was cooking whole ducks this was a good setup. Great to have at a duck club. You can stand around with your favorite beverage, watch ducks cook and stay warm to boot.