Snakeheads

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Mr_Mallard, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

There are big ones in BW

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

I dang sure hope those suckers never make it down here but I'd like to tangle with a few one day. Do they tear up your tackle like a grinnell (mudfish,bowfin, whatever y'all call em)?

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

They don't tear up the tackle too bad, but if they swallow the hook (eye inside the mouth) you ain't getting it back unless the fish is dead, which is fine. I lose a lot more tackle to bluecats.

I haven't caught that many, but in my limited experience, they hit hard, make one really hard short run and then give up, until you get them close to the boat or try to net them.

I will only net them now because trying to leader and plier out the hook results in them going a bit nutz.

4. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

When you say city limits are you referring to DC, Alexandria or elsewhere. Heard there are good numbers north of wwe bridge and in Anacostia and north But wonder about the water quality to eat one caught in or around the DC area.

5. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I agree with this. Not impressed at all and I use an ultralight. Biggest I’ve caught was about 24”. I know a 24” rock fights better and more over, if I ever caught a 24” largemouth, it would take my rod. Cool fish, but not about all the hype.

6. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Any lure you catch a grinnell on is basically trash afterwards. They will destroy a spinnerbait. I caught one last week that was 14", smallest I've ever seen and it bent the hook on my shakey head so bad I cut it off and replaced it. Snakeheads got teeth?

7. Montauker

@fowlwhacker I typically fresh water bass fish from WWB to Fletchers. Happy to give you spots for snakes in that section if you're interested. I see condoms floating often and the water I pulled the two out of on Saturday was dirtier than the Anacostia.

Admittedly I'm having a personal struggle on whether I should be killing these fish or not. There is no way I am eating one, or anything, out of the water in that section of the river.

8. Montauker

Several lines of teeth, front teeth are small and sharp. Back row looks like sharp molars.

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

The Snakeheads on the Anacostia River are fine, really, no pollution problem. You just you have to get used to them having two heads and wearing condom hats when you pull them up. :)

10. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

That’s the kinda water that they thrive in. There’s no way any of that meat is making it to my plates.