Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Snow Goose Migration 2018

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by rdj.olympia, Sep 9, 2018.

1. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Duck Central thanks for the post. I have been back for a week and unfortunitely they have me working again. As stated before tough hunting and I think a lot of guys stayed home. We usually hunt east of where we stay about 15-20 miles and the roads were crappy so we went west 15-20 miles. We hate hunting west because of all the hunters we run into. We could hear hunters way off in the distance but never ran into any other hunters. I know of one group that hunts 6 guys and a trailer full of full bodies and they got 100 geese and another group went home after 3 days with 2 geese. More to follow. Thanks, Bob

2. PorkChop

PorkChop Elite Refuge Member

Well duck central first off my initial comment about the guide was in no way derogatory. It is amazing that somebody that is up in Canada having such a successful great time could be so sensitive especially when you are obviously doing better than most this year up there! Seriously lighten up you are living the life right now!

Second off I don’t need pictures to believe you. I know plenty of people that go to Canada and have hunts like you described. I have no reason to doubt you! Tonight I was sitting 5 feet from the border listening to two groups having the hunt of their life. Not sure if you can shoot geese in the afternoon there or just ducks. Either way they were burning up the shells!

Finally I may be a tool but I certainly do not have to go to Canada to kill limits of FALL snows and specks. I hope the rest of your trip is safe and successful up there!

3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I just got back from Alberta around Lloydminster and the 6-8 inches of snow on Sunday was not what we were expecting. Our guide put us on a field for snow and dark hunt Monday morning that was not the main X but small X of main flock and we got 77 for 6 as most came at once and no wind plus 48 dark geese with about 6 mph winds. It was fun. That flock of 100,000 according to his scouts left to head south. Shot some darks and ducks on Monday but was tough as pattern was no more due to snow and cold and lots of ducks and geese moved. Set up yesterday and field had couple thousand snows and couple thousand darks and we tried again but again about a 2 mph wind. We had one flock at first light of snows and then the whole flock came at once and didn't really commit as we were on the edge which was only section of field they hadn't already fed. So we got 15 snows total and 32 darks. It was fun and different as I have not hunted in snow conditions before being from balmy Ca. Feel sorry for farmers as lots of wind rowed fields need to be combined.

4. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Just an update,. Today we had 53 SOB'S , limits of dark geese and a few ducks. Again over 80% being adults . Birds did work OK but most came in Huge flights .

Hey pork chop, funny how you post some really stupid comments and comic strip posts. I've been living this life for almost 40 years. I spend 1 month every fall in Canada then back home a few weeks and on to other places to chase. You make comments about regulations but aren't even sure what they are. Bye the way I owned a home in ND for over 17 years in a small town called Esmond south of Rugby. I'm very aware of the hunting in ND and have been hunting there for 40 years. IN NO WAY does ND compare with Canada..
    Canada has far better opportunities than anywhere in the states. I'm sure your a good waterfowl hunter and if people don't believe you they should just ask you ... I'm sure you would tell them..

5. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Personal attacks end guys.

Meach likes this.
  6. PorkChop

Can I personally attacked myself? I think I’m so great I have shot nine ducks this year two geese and about 12 cranes. Yep I think I’m all that and a bag of chips

7. Feathers

Feathers Senior Refuge Member

I see Duck central is melting again. Validating pork chops meme. Relax dude, it’s just an Internet forum.

Thanks everyone for the reports. I head up in a couple weeks. I’m living vicariously through these reports till then.

marsh man dan and PorkChop like this.
  8. PorkChop

Saw snows in the air most of the day today in North Dakota. A few on the ground. Mainly a flock here and a flock there. Couple double flocks but nothing to get overly excited about.

9. rdj.olympia

rdj.olympia Senior Refuge Member

Ok back from Canada and immediately put to work but have a few minutes and thought I would post a few pictures and let everyone know how the trip went. As it turns out I was able to post pictures and keep up but then the snow hit. Actually able to drive into the field the first 2 days but then two days of snow so then we were not able to take the trailer and had to load everything in the Suburban. Roads got so bad we moved 30 miles from where we normally hunt just to get drivable roads. Worked out OK and got into a few birds. Normally a slow day is 20-30 birds but those are good days under these conditions. Everyone was having a tough go with the snow geese but we did pretty well all things considered. Birds were doing crazy things this year. One night we scouted and followed the birds off the roost and they went south 2-3 miles, then turned west and went 4 miles and then went north 15 miles. They then touched down in a field for a couple of minutes and then bugged out. Crazy stuff they were doing. Interesting events like getting stuck once and almost a second time, two days of snow and hunting out of our whites on a pump jack, Steve getting hit in the face with a blue that he shot and to cap it all off we hit a deer on the way home first thing in the morning. What made it most interesting was the red liquid pouring out of the truck, could not open the hood because we might not be able to get it closed and then the truck was out of alignment so top speed was 68 mph. The trip of a lifetime and hopefully we don't see another repeat like this for another 10-15 years. Had a great time but like the easy life of driving into the fields and lots of juvenile snow geese to make it easy. Thanks Bob

1 g.jpg 2 steve.jpg 3 sub.jpg 4 st n b.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Action, Juvie Juke Box, JRS and 4 others like this.
  10. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Leo, you never cease to crack me up. And 12 cranes is more than I've shot in a lifetime so in my opinion you da man!!

Personally know a couple guys who shot a few snows in Sodak yesterday.

PorkChop likes this.