Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

snows

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by ten times better, Feb 18, 2018.

1. greenheadIL

greenheadIL Elite Refuge Member

Had the option to go to NE Arkansas this past weekend. After a phone call friday afternoon we decided to save our gas. Our report said there was still a few birds there but they were not moving much at all sometimes roosting and feeding in same field. We hunted south central part of IL Saturday saw a few hundred killed 15. Drove around Sunday saw a few but nothing to get excited about. I work this weekend so I think my next waterfowl hunt will be in September. Looks like thursday and friday could be good days to be sitting in a spread and picking off the last few dirty birds and rossys moving thru

Jon C and likesbigspreads like this.
  2. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Hunted a feed yesterday morning and shot 19. I only used 16 full bodies. I scouted this field and was where they wanted to be.
    thumbnail.jpg

3. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Thats awesome waterdog trainer! We actually saw thousands of geese for the first time in about 5 days. Came out to feed about 5:30 to 7 and acted like everother snow goose that was here in Febuary. Need these birds to leave and get some fresh ones in!

4. Waterdog Trainer

Yes, there are several thousand around here. Most on the west side. A few groups coming up from the south. Emiquon or the refuge I would suspect. Some out of the north coming down must be roosting on strip water near Farmington. There are a lot of Juvies here. We may see a few more in the next couple weeks.

5. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Huh, the ones flying over us last night did not act like juvies! Maybe thats a sign of how bad I am at killing snows!

6. Waterdog Trainer

More likely just stale birds.

7. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

I have been laying in my field ALL DAY (here now) and only had one group bless me - and that was after they busted me putting up flyers and no sound. I feel delerious from just laying here and not seeing another bird.....

Jon C likes this.
  8. keith_scumline

keith_scumline Elite Refuge Member

9. keith_scumline

keith_scumline Elite Refuge Member

Good to hear from you. Stay after them

10. Waterdog Trainer

When they get few and far in between makes for some long days. On those days I often wonder what else I could be doing that was more productive.

Jon C and zettler like this.