Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

snows

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by ten times better, Feb 18, 2018.

1. 2WIDGN

2WIDGN Senior Refuge Member

Just south of pekin today, 50 juives. Screenshot_20180403-194618.png

Jon C and likesbigspreads like this.
  2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I think we still have plenty of time to kill some dirty birds. Too bad its over. Arkansas runs till the end of the month, but we close on the 1st??

Jon C likes this.
  3. timber hunter

timber hunter Elite Refuge Member

You boys need to get that changed. We're shooting up your geese this week. Hope they don't figure out it's safe on your side before next weekend.

4. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

we picked up the spread yesterday mice mice mice! it will take a week to get the callers clean at 73 I always wonder if its the last time. picked up 5 sacks of the big sunflowers this morning now we need warm and dry. we didn't get any wheat in last fall so provo and sunflowers r our only hope.

5. PLATINUMWINDOW99

PLATINUMWINDOW99 Senior Refuge Member

been hunting snows back the late 50"s in South Dakota limit was 6 still doing it at 75 1/2 hope for a few more years...

Attached Files:

Jon C likes this.
  6. Jon C

Jon C Elite Refuge Member

Very nice PLATINUMWINDOW99...thanks for posting the pic.

7. 2WIDGN

Saw two small feeds in central Illinois today. 2:00 pm. 2-300 birds in each.

Jon C likes this.
  8. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

I sent an email to the dnr about possible lengthening our season and here is the response.....
    Mr. Wolters,

Thank you for your inquiry.

Most years very few snow geese remain in Illinois into April, with the exception of a few extremely late springs such as this year. Also during this time other spring activities get started, creating the possibility for user conflicts between snow goose hunters and turkey hunters, anglers and farmers starting to work fields. Although negative interactions among these groups might be infrequent, the Department had not considered extending the season because there has been little to no interest in additional days for the conservation order and these other activities seemed to take precedence over the few snow goose hunters who may continue to hunt into April.

Additionally, harvest data show that the majority of snow geese harvested during the conservation order occurs in February, with harvest numbers declining to near zero by late March. These data indicate that interest and snow goose abundance has declined sufficiently in most years to make extending the season unnecessary.

In Illinois we set our season dates for 5 years. The next time we will review season dates will be for the 2021-2026 seasons. That process will include mailed surveys, public meetings and opportunities to comment on proposals online or via email. The process will likely begin in late winter or early spring 2019.

If extending the conservation order dates are a serious priority for snow goose hunters, I would encourage you and others to participate in that process.

Thank you.

Randy.

Randy Smith

Wetland Wildlife Program Manager

Illinois Department of Natural Resources

1 Natural Resources Way

Springfield, IL 62702

Phone: (217) 785-2347

Jon C likes this.
  9. 2WIDGN

It'll be interesting to see what happens. Good post. Thanks LBS!

10. zettler

zettler Elite Refuge Member

Brett,

You already know from Facebook how I feel about this issue and the "response" received.

However, thank you for starting the ball rolling but I will be VERY interested to read where it states that a state, Illinois in this case, can't amend this. Very interested and why that position was taken.

Can't say more, celebrating my Turkey while at Texas Roadhouse...

Jon C likes this.