Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Sock question

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by possumfoot, Nov 9, 2017.

1. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

cant really get 1000fb in a wet field. and i have 80 dz "plastic" snows. just not feasible to use for what i want.

2. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

This is all done in a different field chasing X's or are you setting 2-3 other spreads to run clients through them? Just curious. Was also going to suggest full bodies but if that's not an option, real geese pro 2 snows? Eagle Head runs silo spreads on spring snows and seem to do pretty good over them most of the time.

3. possumfoot

want em for hunting x's on rainy and snowy days and be able to bag em at the end of the hunt. i have a perm spread for people that prefer that option, but i run the x's personally.

4. isu22andy

isu22andy New Member

New to snow goose hunting, how do you guys that hunt muddy fields get all your fullbodys out there?? We have ATVS and side by sides but have 500 full bodys.

5. Empty Skies

Empty Skies Elite Refuge Member

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

I don't personally own FB, but have set many FB spreads. Large otter sled and seed bags is the most common method. Small lightweight trailer also works behind the quad. Some guys set two seed bags full of dekes on the side by side using various racking systems.

7. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

Rain, snow, freezing conditions never make it easy to set up large decoy spreads. Full bodies only add to the setup work under these conditions when the fields get muddy. Admittedly, I seldom have to deal with freezing conditions of any significance after things get wet.

So, back to your original question, what are you hoping for in a sock that will make it easier under these wet and freezing conditions?

8. possumfoot

basically a functioning decoys that work for run and gun x hunting. need a decoy that can be hunted in the rain, and bagged up that day with out having to be wrung out.

9. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

I "hear ya" ........

Ultimately, I think the solution is a "holographic decoy",,,, some kind of machine that projects lifelike 3D holographic images with the push of a button and they all disappear when you turn it off (or the battery runs dead!!!)...lol...

Unfortunately, we may still be living in the wrong century for that to happen,,, so until then, wet decoys are the snow goose hunters curse!!!

10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

I will always lean toward FBs vs socks, I believe you can get snows in closer over FBs than socks most of the time. We all know conditions dictate how long it takes to set decoys so we all want to get the spread set asap so socks make sense too

Decoy manufactures I believe are missing it or maybe the hunters. I personally like the idea of 5/8 shells but i believe they are too big and since they are more of shell than a FB in windy conditions the down wind side of the decoy lifts up more than I like.

I don't understand why the decoy manufactures waste so much time on the bottom of a snow decoy. Make a smaller FB with out those dumb little 3 in legs and bring the weight and the cost down lol