Some were there nesting.

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by BB-Shot, May 3, 2019.

1. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

The Canada geese be working on it for a few weeks now slow start here the ducks mallards teal mainly are still holding off on my block. We need some heat to get the grass growing it's getting green just needs to get taller. Ducks from what I have observed like cover and concealment unlike CG's they will nest on top of duck blind or rat house. I am guessing starting within the next two week should be a lot of single drakes around haven't seen many. I always hope for twelve days twelve eggs twenty eight days +- with a good mortality rate. Weather messes with them for sure but they know when the time is right.

I found the perfect place darling. Were Susie?
    018.JPG Up here with a friendly robin.
    019.JPG
    The view is great.
    020.JPG
    I can hide know one well see me. 021.JPG
    I am going to sit on this one out.
    025.JPG

BirdJ, Dean Nelson and GK1 like this.
  2. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Starting seeing a big drop in hen numbers about a week ago up here. Lots of Bachelor groups starting to form up and they're definitely starting to hound the females every time they come off the nest.

BB-Shot likes this.
  3. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

2 weeks ago there were mallard pairs in every puddle of water but now its mostly drakes.

BB-Shot likes this.