Alabama Flyway Forum Sponsors

Special Opportunity Hunt????

Discussion in 'Alabama Flyway Forum' started by AGKeating, Oct 11, 2018.

1. AGKeating

AGKeating New Member

Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone has ever hunted the Crow Creek SOA? I finally got drawn for it and don't really know anything about it. I have tried looking online to see if there were any comments on how past hunts have gone and can't find anything. Any info as to if it's flooded fields or just naturally flooded bottom-land, will I need a canoe... etc. Thank guys!

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

That program hasn't been around long. IIRC, last year was the first year the Crow Creek SOA hunt was available. Prolly be hard pressed to find much info. Call the GWs in that area and get what you can out of them, specifically about the rules of the program. That is a big enough area that a boat might be warranted. I don't know if they are setting you up in a specific location, etc, or how they are doing the placements of hunters. I imagine it's well regulated, since it's on a refuge. The city park for Stevenson also is part of that Crow Creek slough, so I don't know if they intend to have a keep out zone for some places, or maybe just allow hunting below HWY 72, or something of that effect.

Congrats on getting drawn.

crowcreek.png

3. AGKeating

AGKeating New Member

Thanks man! I didn't realize it was so new. The map I found of it has it more inland and I will try to upload it. I was just trying to get any details I could to continue to feed my excitement, haha.

Attached Files:

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Looks like the hunt is limited to the very northern portion of CC. I'd imagine that far up, you'd be OK with just waders. Looks to be plenty of levees and roads for access. As in, no long walks/drives to any one spot. I'd call the GW and ask them how access is being handled. If you are having to walk in from where the star is on that map, you'll be in for a long walk. I doubt that is the case though. These hunts were, by design, to give public land hunters a few opportunities at something a little more like a guided experience, where you don't have to do a whole bunch of work just to hunt.

5. volsquackhead

volsquackhead Refuge Member

Congrats on getting drawn!

Keep us posted on your experience, it is very interesting (at least to me anyways :l) considering how new it is.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. AGKeating

AGKeating New Member

I will keep ya'll posted for sure!

volsquackhead likes this.