Speck spread question

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by speckinator, Jun 10, 2019.

1. speckinator

speckinator Refuge Member

Background.... in the past I have run anywhere from 6 to 4 dozen snows mixed in randomly with my speck set up. I run any where from 5 to 11 dozen speck full bodies depending on location. Has anyone here set that many snows in a speck spread? I’m trying to mimick what I see in the fields but as usual I’m second guessing myself for the upcoming season. I hunt the Stuttgart and east arkansas areas. So let’s say with 11 or 12 dozen specks I put out 4 dozen snows in the mix. Should I use less? Does it even matter?

2. Nocalhonker

Nocalhonker Elite Refuge Member

Are you trying to shoot snows also or are they for affect. I run 4-8 dozen Dave Smith specks depend who is all hunting. I’ll mix in a few snows in but maybe 6. If I go more I segregate them with the snows up wind. If it’s a combo hunt I run 1200-2000 snows I’ll run 10-12 dz snow mixed along the kill hole edge and the top of the spread. I’ll put the speck decoys in groups along the kill hole edge and family groups in the kill hole. This has worked good in California for me.

3. speckinator

Not really targeting the snows. It’s just for effect. I used to just throw in a dozen snows but thought maybe a few more dozen would work. May have to do a try both ways this fall to see if there’s any difference.

4. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

If truly targeting specks only, a few mixed in is fine as see them flying lots of times in the big flocks a single here, a couple there. We don't use more than a dozen in a field setup for specks and that is only after we have sufficient snows in the area.

5. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

We will set up a couple hundred snows to hide in.

6. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Dry fields? The more snows the better, speck deeks close to you. They will come to the call. They have an unbelievable ability to go exactly where the call is coming from. That makes them die.

7. speckinator

Yes this is dry winter wheat fields. In the area I hunt we have an equal amount of snows and specks around at any given time. I understand putting a few in the spread for attraction purposes. Just wondering if anyone has really experimented with doing something like half and half. I like the idea of setting the snows slightly apart and/or to hide in.

8. Nocalhonker

What are you hunting out of pit lay down or laying in the decoys.

9. speckinator

Layouts on rice levees bordering winter wheat fields

10. Nocalhonker

You can run the snows on the up wind side of the levee and specks on the down wind. Specks can pick you out like no tomorrow, even with completely brushed up blinds if they don’t blend into the levee in brush and shape they can pick you out.