sphero tungsten 15

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by Rman, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Rman

Rman New Member

I have 0 components right now and a serious lack of understanding of how the process/recipes work. I am familiar with rifle reloading, and already have the presses scales etc for that. But with rifle, the recipes include a range of charges from minimum to maximum. Is all of the shotgun stuff just 1 charge mass? Can you reduce the charge by a grain or two, can you use alternative hulls? I have the RSI HW reloaders guide in the mail, but are there any alternative or additional resources just to get a background and understanding of the process?
    Thanks for all the help

2. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

Rman, good questions. You need to read a reloading book covering all this, not just the recipes. Recommend either Lymans 5th ed, or Advantages manual from BPI for the background how to info, one of these is an absolute must for every sbotshell reloader.

Basically, zero substitution, follow recipe, no hull or wad deviation. You can reduce shot weight in a recipe safely, or powder weight, but this should not be your goto method... instead, find a closer recipe.for what you're after. The burns can get unreliable with.fairly.small reductions as ressure drops.

3. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Rman, you'll want to stick to one basic set of components. It makes things easier. I mainly use Fed Gold Medal straight wall hulls for the majority of my reloading. I also use Cheddite and Fiocchi hulls, they are straight walled. Straight wall hulls take a certain type of wad. Tapered hulls like your WinAA and Remington use a different style of wad. Primers, I stick with Federals, but keep some Win and Cheddite in the cabinet.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Better Hurry if you want FGM hulls as NOW they are called "Grands" ! The ones you want are Purple with the Brass head , not the Brass Washed Steel head .
    Rman is right-on with ALL the other components , stay with the basics as they will serve you well . But , Dave in Az knows his stuff and can be a lot of help .
    There are several Straight -walled hulls that you can use for PITCH LOADS , once you read all the (how to's) of shotshell reloading . It's Fun ! :yes:tu

5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Probably the best advice would be to get Lyman's Fifth Edition shot shell manual read it then read it again so you understand the basics. Diving right in to what's considered advanced type loading of non toxic shot is not IMO the best way to start out unless you have some background first.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  6. Rman

Rman New Member

Amazon will have the manual here tomorrow, which I'm sure will provide me with more questions. Thanks for all the help

Dave in AZ likes this.
  7. Rman

Rman New Member

Lots of good info the book. It clarified the process for me. I think I'm gonna follow the bpi recipes with cheddite hulls. Does this stuff tend to pattern pretty well in general or do you need to try several recipes to get a good pattern to match your shotgun. I spent alot of time to find a factory steel load that patterns well.

8. Dave in AZ

Dave in AZ Senior Refuge Member

HW stuff usually patterns very well. However, it likes very open chokes. Many guys use cylinder, maybe IC. As the chokes increase it often makes the patterns looser-- be sure to start with C or IC to see how that does, don't assume you need a tighter choke to get tighter patterns with it.

Also, be cautious about max pressure loads from BPI. There are many posts with indications of higher than expected pressure-- pick something in a moderate pressure. You only need 1200-1300 fps speed with HW13 or denser for sure, so if a load is giving 1500-1600 fps you can reduce the powder a bit also, getting less recoil and probably better patterns at slower speeds. BPI publishes many HW loads that are unnecessarily fast.

Good job on getting the manual fast and reading it!

10GAGENUT likes this.
  9. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Dave gave you some good advice above.
    As he stated with BPI loads caution is advisable, best way I can describe it to you, if you pull the trigger and it feels/sounds like an Artillery gun going off stop shooting the loads you made.

10. Gmnorris74

Gmnorris74 New Member

I run IC in my 20 ga with spherotungsten and it’s a nice dense even spread. No need to go any tighter.

10GAGENUT likes this.