Spot burning?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by ducslayer, Sep 13, 2017.

1. ducslayer

ducslayer Elite Refuge Member

Is it Spot burning if say the end of November the ducks really show up at my rice blind and I post the birds are here near Willows? Or is it Spot burning if I post I shot my limit at Gray lodge parking lot 6?... What is your definition of Spot Burning?

2. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

The second option.

Wareagle1 likes this.
  3. Refugeguy

Refugeguy Senior Refuge Member

Neither , someone has to be a complete dumbass to not know when birds are here!

nicapopolis and ricer man like this.
  4. Calikev

Calikev Elite Refuge Member

I think it depends. Definitely the second one could upset some folks. I think even mentioning a refuge name can at times be spot burning if associated with a good shoot but a lot depends on the day. A warm, slow day in November and you post a limit of mallards from a refuge and brag about how no one was out there then you can expect some unhappy people to chime in. 25 mph North wind in November and most places shoot well it probably isn't as big of a deal to say you were at a certain refuge.

Best bet is to just tell the story of the hunt and leave out the exact "where" it happened part. The pictures and stories are entertaining without the risk of ruffling feathers.

Anyone who assumes everyone knows everything is an idiot. Some folks may know where a lot of good spots are but they certainly don't know always when they are on and when they are off. Timing, sticking and moving are essential skills of a good refuge hunter so being able to read the patterns, habitat, crowds, etc. all plays into good decision making.

I'll take quality scouting and location every time over the rest of the stuff people get obsessed with. Being able to time when to hit spots requires work and effort. It doesn't always work out either because the #1 deterrent to hunting success is people. Avoiding them is a difficult thing to do unless you play the game a certain way.

Kevin

5. ricer man

ricer man Senior Refuge Member

[​IMG]

6. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

According to this place just mentioning you killed a duck or goose anywhere in the state 3 years ago is spot burning.

DUCKTWK and Dexter like this.
  7. freefall

freefall Elite Refuge Member

I dig ruffling feathers..... with #3 steel... and my posts on here. Prepare to be offended by my posts this season.

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Anything that offends even one person...

NORCALDUCK likes this.
  9. Drifly

Drifly Senior Refuge Member

Is this spot burning?
    Pheasant.JPG

10. 7pntail

7pntail Senior Refuge Member

I've learned to never burn a spot- the hard way. Loose lips sink ships. Tried to help a few guys over the years and got burned.

I think sharing a fuge is a not necessary spot burning, but I wouldn't post or brag about your results. Numbers are posted online and we all know the griz is the place to be. Keep that a secret! Sutter has become a close second.

Hard earned spots are sacred, only to be shared with close friends, or trusted hunters. Period.

I personally, would not have posted the Sherman island thread, as that sparks interest. Inquiring duck hunting minds want to know. I read it, am I missing something? Maybe I should check that area out? Looks pretty good from google earth. Why draw attention? I think you get my point.

I've heard people say "there are no secrets out there", both fishing and hunting. Truth is, if you have as many years in as I do, there are a few. I will keep it that way.

The duck killing ego gets the best of some. Keep your spot to yourself if it is public ground. That's good advice. Take it.

Repeat after me: "yea, had a nice day, a few opportunities, but just couldn't get em to work. Gorgeous sunrise, saw a few birds, but no real flight";)

Make sure you put your lone sponny on top of the decoy cart. :D