Spray to Realease grasses?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by Trophyduck, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I'm new to all this.....could someone explain what is meant by Spraying (on what are you spraying the chemical?) to release grasses?
    I'm thinking you are killing weeds to promote grasses to grow from existing seed beds?

thanks

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I have literally sprayed thousands of acres of 2,4-d amine for grass release. I like 2,4-d amine because it is cheap, doesn’t volatize and is relatively safe around soybeans as long as you use common sense about wind direction. I typically use 1 qt/ac but there are times when highter rates are needed. Asters are especially tough and dense needing higher rates. Tall and dense cocklebur can need higher rates as well.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  3. Clayton

Thought this old post would make a good Sticky.

4. brake man

brake man Senior Refuge Member

Couple of dumb questions to a guy who obviously knows very little about all this moist soil stuff:
    1. What is 2,4-d amine and what does it do?
    2. What does "grass release" mean?
    I honestly do not know and am seriously asking.

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

24d is an ag herbicide that is a broad spectrum broad leaf killer .

Has very little effect on grass

But

By reducing the the broadleaf competition it allows grasses like barnyard grass to sprout and have room to grow

Barnyard grass is a favorite of most ducks. It’s a variety of millet that is free in the earths soil in most regions

But needs space to grow
    By controlling the broad leafs or disturbing soil barnyard grass and other grasses release from the soil and grow

The other side of the coin would be killing grasses to release smarteeed or other broad leaves . To do this you would kill the grasses with round up

Clayton likes this.
  6. Clayton

I use 2,4-D amine because it is safer to use around soybeans. 2,4-D ester is not safe to use around soybeans and very risky around cotton.

Here some pictures I have put together over the years comparing 2,4-D amine spraying to areas not treated. Usually they weren't treated because I accidentally missed them!!! LOL

2_4_D spraying in sesbania_1.jpg 2_4_D spraying in sesbania_2.jpg 2_4_D spraying in sumpweed.jpg barnyardgrass release_3.JPG