Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Spring Snow Goose Hunting in Saskatchewan - VIDEO SERIES

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by backwater1, May 15, 2017.

1. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Cool videos so far for sure! Curious as to why you guys rarely ever hunt over your full bodies though?

We had a similar encounter with birds this Spring, got really cold and all the birds blew back from north to south of I-90 came rolling into our field and some little tiny pond right next to the highway were we used the field approach to get in, had birds back shoulder to shoulder. Drove right up them in the pickup and they just sat there. I'm guessing they didn't want to leave in our situation because open water was super scarce at that point.

CamoHunter870 likes this.
  2. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Cause you can't bring two spreads. On long out of town trips when we want big spreads (aka spring snow goose hunting) our group prefers and has confidence in large mobile windsock spreads.

We hunt over our fullbodies plenty in the fall when the situation calls for it.

Arkansas Specks

Flooded Corn Field Ducks

Walk in Canada Geese

3. backwater1

Just as we are hitting our stride going into day #3 mother nature lobs up a juicy one as we wake to find conditions that every spring snow goose hunter dreams about...FOG and WIND. Whoa buddy! After the previous two days have worked with very average conditions we are brimming with excitement for what promises to be the hunt of the trip!

Enjoy day 3: Spring In Sask | A 100 bird limit in 45 minutes!

4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Gotcha.

5. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

I'm sure some guys are already installing lights on their rotaries after seeing the video but please don't start selling trance inducing floodlight accessories. :pra :l These birds are never gonna get to rest now.

6. ducknut@sbcglobal

ducknut@sbcglobal New Member

Backwater, how far North are the guys hunting? Not looking for their spot, just a "N. of Prince Albert" or something like that. I'm curious, as I spring hunted Sask. the springs of 2003-2008, and am always curious how the spring migration progresses there these days. Thanks, Barry

7. backwater1

Over 200 snow geese have already hit the ground during our spring Saskatchewan goose hunting adventure. We've got one more go at these guys before we point South and they vanish to the unknown North until September. We have a mega feed lined up just a couple miles from the previous days limit in the fog....but cold and no wind conditions for our final morning hunt have us wondering if these adult snow geese will really play one more time.

Enjoy the finale of "Spring in Sask" - and we'll see ya in the fall!

8. backwater1

Not directed only to you as we've gotten the question a few times so here's an answer to wrap up this series.

Out of respect for fellow hunters we intentionally try to be vague in all our videos. It is hard walking the thin line between documenting the details of an adventure in a fun and entertaining way....while not getting people all tee'd up because we're sharing their "secret" spot.

I'd say Saskatchewan in the spring is just like any US state in the spring. There are a lot of birds spread out in lots of places with many opportunities to hunt them. Just like Missouri or South Dakota, yes there are traditional staging areas, but they are not all at the same spot at the same time from year to year. Honestly this was the 4th year we've done this trip, and the 4th different location we have been in. Generally speaking the same areas that hold birds in the fall hold birds in the spring. If you put the scouting miles on you can find snow geese, they are a very visible bird ; ) I know that's not ground breaking info, but it's what I got for ya!

Like we mentioned at the start of this series, hunting Canada in the spring is not a slam dunk like it is in the fall. We happened to hit a good stretch this year, but so did a lot of people during their migration through the US. On years with a high juvy hatch it can be good and consistent. Tough years are tough years!

KID CREOLE and CNWD like this.
  9. twdjr

twdjr Elite Refuge Member

Nice going guys! Congrats on the great hunts!

10. ducknut@sbcglobal

ducknut@sbcglobal New Member

Not looking for a tutorial on spring snow goose hunting in Sask, been there, done that.