Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Sprtspal paddling question

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Trophyduck, May 18, 2018.

1. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I've searched.....it looks like a lot of folks like them. I would like the meyers version. My question is how well does it track/paddle? Is it easy or will it wear you out? Loking at the double ended 14
    Thanks
    Also.....what are thoughts on one of these over a Kayak for hunting?...

2. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Drathardducker is probably a good one to answer your questions about the sportspal. I believe he use to use one and if there was any way to sink it easily he would have been the man to do it. Think hes moved to C.A. but still occasionaly posts here.

3. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

Lol. Good point, thanks

4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

5. Archeryrob

Archeryrob Elite Refuge Member

The advantage a canoe has over a kayak is the weight it can displace. So you can carry more weight, but being wide it will be slower. I looked at these and if you are using it alone you will need to balance the weight to have it track. Dog and gear up front and you in the back o paddle and steer or you need to rig a seat to be mid ship. If the bow comes up you won't track.

15+ years ago I would have voted to have a canoe and I did have one. Now the new kayak hulls are far more stable than any canoe out there hands down. You are probably much better off with a SOT kayak unless you're planning to drag a lot of gear or another person. I'd advise not doing either alone and friends should buy their own kayak.

I used to own a Old town discovery 169 and now own a Commander 120 and a Ride 135 for hunting an fishing.

Trophyduck likes this.
  6. top o va

top o va Senior Refuge Member

I have a 14' Radisson double pointed that I've owned for over 20 years. Great small boat for tidal/flat water. Tracks very well due to the three keels it has on the bottom. I've run a trolling motor as well as a small outboard on it. It is very stable and can handle loads well. It is also very light. I can carry it pretty decent distances by myself. I moved from tidal water to the Shenandoah a few years ago and have to say it is not as good a boat on mountain streams as it was on tidal waters. The keels do not slide over rock ledges well and the boat had taken a beating.

Get the boat.

7. DCHBK

DCHBK Refuge Member

I had a 15ft square stern Sportspal, and I don't remember it having three keels or tracking well while paddling. It was big flat and wide in the middle, which took a lot of the fun out of paddling it.
    Sometimes I put a 4HP on the back of it, and the trim was a problem. I sold it to get something I could handle easier by myself.