Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

Starting to see a few geese

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by skimerhorn, Aug 13, 2017.

1. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

Starting to see a few geese flying. Seen a few flocks in cut silage fields. Also noticed they're not flying till about 9 or 10 in the morning, and right at sunset in the evening

2. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Local geese moving around either headed to food lion parking lot or the post office. Local mallards moving early and dropping in the cess pool at mcdonalds. Heavy crop of fries floating on the surface,along with the occasional biscuit. Still have not seen any blue wingers yet..

3. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

Local pretenders.

4. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

That are going to die in a few more weeks for if they fly (over me) they die ( of a storm of black cloud # 1 ) . Yep I have good numbers on my hunting grounds and flying late morning.

:dv LD :tu

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I think we are starting to notice them more cause we are closer to Opening Day. Where ARE the DOVES???????
    Dag Nabbit.

6. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife New Member

I'm seeing big groups of dove here. Way more than I have seen in recent years. As many as several hundred on a few consecutive stretches of power lines. All around crop fields that haven't been touched yet.

Geese started moving around on pattern about two weeks ago.

7. Valleyhonker

Valleyhonker New Member

Really starting to see movement here of the locals on the western side of the state. Then again, we get excited over any movement out this way.

8. kahunna

kahunna Elite Refuge Member

There are some mornings when I get excited over any movement also. I usually know that means it's time for some coffee!

9. skimerhorn

skimerhorn Refuge Member

Good luck to anybody getting out tomorrow

10. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Met at 5:30, BS'ed for 10 minutes and went to the farm. Been seeing geese this past week in the field. Set up in darkness cause there were some very early fliers during the week. Hunted til 10:30. Dog squeak barking in the distance, crows, bulldozer in the distance backing up beeping all raised our ears a bit cause we were out of practice and too hopeful. Not a goose in the sky. Not even a V of them so far away that they look like the heads of pins. only a few dove too. Interesting to hunt on the lunar landscape with no animal life,ha.
    But, he had some new stories, rehashed some old ones, a few new jokes and a few old ones that we pretended to be new.
    Oh well, that's why they calls it hunting.