Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

State Duck Calling Contest

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by Feet_Down, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Feet_Down

Feet_Down Refuge Member

The attendance of in-state competitors has been a little down so I wrote and article to hopefully inspire some folks to come out and compete this year. There are a lot of good callers in VA that I know would help anyone looking to get involved. If you like it tell a friend or share.

http://www.mudflatcreative.com/5-simple-steps-to-becoming-a-competitive-duck-caller/

Thanks,

2. Deadrise

Deadrise Senior Refuge Member

Thank you FD. One of the things on my bucket list is to become a "better" caller. Knew a good ole fellow who accepted a job as a waterfowl guide in a top end Eastern Virginia honey hole. He was a good hunter but a typical eastern VA duck caller. He went and stayed with Phil Robertson for a week and came back contest material. My son sat with a local guru in his shop and became a better caller because of it.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Any news of this year's contest?

4. Feet_Down

Feet_Down Refuge Member

NO news as of yet as far as a date goes. There will definitley be one though. It is usually in August or September. Its been in October before as well. Last year was great. Winner of the state won a Brand New Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 25th anniversary shotgun among cash and some other things. Its always a good time and its run by some great people. Really well done!