Stopped retrieving

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by payton, Oct 24, 2018.

1. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Its always amazes me how little differences can effect a retriever. Probably 25 yrs ago I had a brute of a male chessy. His first shot waterfowl retrieves were woddys. He had retrieved doves and crows earlier in the fall and had retrieved pigeons and shackled mallards prior to hunting. Along comes the point in season where we can shoot blk. ducks and after a few mallards he was sent to retrieve a floating blk. duck. Soon as he grabbed it he spit it out. Fortunately he had been taught the hold command and he did grab it on command. Never a problem w/.ducks after that but never could get him to reliably retrieve field shot Canada geese or snows. He would retrieve geese on water but soon as he hit land they were dropped. Never did force fetch ol jake but you better believe when his replacement came along and he was retired it was force fetched and all since then. It does make a difference in even the best of em.

Doc E likes this.
  2. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

This happened today. I had securely latched the entrance to my small "dug-out"
    style goose blind and realized one glove was left on the floor. Bending over the
    "open" flip out door, it was just out of reach. I'm 78 years old and flexibility is
    no longer in the picture. Pounce was given a "here" as I tapped the opening.

Pounce "pounced" over and right in. She was given the "fetch" command and I
    pointed at the glove. I got the "Say What?" look Then she popped up out of the
    blind with the glove in her mouth. :yes She did force fetch via Hillmann.

Writing this reminded me of a time when I was in my sixties (much younger). Taffey and I had just
    finished a very difficult, cold winter hunt on the fast flowing Rock River in northern Illinois.

As we approached the take-out landing, I was totally spent. Suddenly the wind just whipped my red safety
    cushion up out of the boat. Now I had to leave the launch, start the motor and chase that cushion. Did
    I mention I was exhausted? Then a little voice in my spent brain said, "Send Taffey! She's young, a powerful
    swimmer and force fetched."

As Taffey approached the red cushion, she looked back at me and said, "Say What? :h

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
    Mr_Mallard and Doc E like this.
  3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

Another mistake I made on a fbl prior to the Chesapeake. She was the very first retriever I had ever trained and although having trained bird dogs to fetch I was stumbleing on what can and can,t be done with a retriever. Only books I had read back then were wolters waterdog. Everything went well with her until I decided it would be nice to teach her to retrieve decoys . Now this was way before I had an e collar and couldn,t make any correction at distance. She was taught hold command and she had done decoy retrieval a couple times on a little walk in marsh creek I hunted that water/mud depth would reach almost to top of my waders. She hadn,t been required to pick up a dead bird fallen inside decoys as up to that point all had fallen outside. First time she was sent on a bird in the decoys she grabbed the first decoy she came to on same line as dead bird. A learning moment although frustrateing for me. From then on I just waited till dead birds drifted out and never again sent her to fetch decoys!

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Some of my dogs (a setter and Brittany included) were taught the difference between "fetch" for bumpers and birds and "decoy fetch" for decoys in the yard before trying the later afield. Given that introduction, there's been so little confusion afield that I've long forgotten any that may have occurred. Could be that our not fooling with FF helped eliminate verbiage confusion...

5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member

Every dog that I've had has been taught "Decoy Fetch"

6. cappiecoo

cappiecoo Senior Refuge Member

Another caveat is an injury to a tooth.

7. jackiejp

jackiejp Refuge Member

When I started my pup I had a similar problem. If I worked her on live or dead birds and then switched to dummies she would refuse the dummies. This was prior to her being FF. I was told never to start with birds and then go to dummies because many dogs that are very bird driven will do exactly what my pup did. I learned quickly to do my dummy work first or on different days as I was working with birds. Of course FF changed all of that but there is a work around if you do not want to FF.

8. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

Follow a proven program that builds up to and ends with forcing on real birds - something like this.

EvanG

9. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

I would still like to know what training the OP did since last fall.

10. BENSSS

BENSSS Refuge Member

Who is playing with dog-- off season may be your problem. Had one quit because I way over hunted him-luckily only 2 weeks. 95% of time mine retrieve anything--100% of time on birds--but dr. E is right--it is fetch command. Moved to Alabama 20 years ago and people don't use it and to many of their dogs don't retrieve worth a damn. Even if someone throws a ball I yell fetch.. I like canvas bumpers-make new ones--I just stuff with rags-it doesn't have go 40 yards to train (if you get a hard mouth put chicken wire in it or if bad a 2x2 with nails but don't mistake mouthing a bird for chewing it)--To start I would wrap a couple of wings on it.
    Here or come and fetch commands are a gold.