Stump Jumper Or PPF

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Rangerbob, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rangerbob

Rangerbob Senior Refuge Member

To start this off I have never owned a mud motor so I have no actual experience with them. All I know is just the research I have done, mostly on the internet. But I have convinced myself that I need one for my latest boat purchase. I just picked up a Vantage PT duck boat made by Osagian Canoes. This hull has not been made in several years and I bought the last one the factory still had. It is 14' long with a 60" beam and 13 1/2" deep, and weighs 320#. According to the company literature loaded it will float in 3" of water. It is double ended kind of like the old Ducker but it does have a transom and is rated to 15hp. It is a displacement hull not a planning hull. I plan on using it for spring time shallow water crappie fishing and as a layout style marsh boat during duck season. I will be hunting with just me and my 70# lab and would not be traveling more than a mile. With all of that being said I have decided that a longtail with Predator 212 motor will push the boat about as fast as it can go. I have narrowed my choices down to either a PPF Woodduck or the Stump Jumper. One of my main requirements is ease of motor removal when switching back and forth from fishing to hunting mode. As I am older the lighter weight is also a big consideration.
    So my question is which of these 2 brands would be the best choice?

Thanks, Steve

2. johnskipper41

johnskipper41 Refuge Member

I run the stump jumper 7hp on o 1436jon boat. Great lil motor I hunt tidal marshes in Maryland eastern shore. You aren’t going to set any speed records but it gets the job done. My buddy has the ppf mud motor nice motor also I feel you can’t go wrong with either motor.

3. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I would go with the most HP the boats are rated for. My John boat is rated at 25hp and I got a 22hp Swamp Runner ( i just have to tell everyone about, ha) like the max HP with the gear and fat old guy weight we carry. Plus I like to go like a bat outta h*ll. Speed is fun, outrunning a storm is fun too.

4. Rangerbob

I guess you misread my post. My boat is a displacement hull, it does not plane so no matter how much hp you put it will never be fast. I go for the hunt not the boatride.

5. Tailfeathers

Thank you, yes I did. Was thinking of a planning hull. Displacement hull changes everything, guess I missed that it was displacement. With that, I would go for the hp that will get my boat to good speed with full weight and not more due to unnecessary hp, weight, expense of a larger motor.

Edited: DOINK:doh there it was, in your original post: “It is double ended kind of like the old Ducker but it does have a transom and is rated to 15hp. It is a displacement hull not a planning hull. “

6. Tailfeathers

7. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I'd love to see what an old light 2 stroke 15hp with a heavy cupped four blade prop and jackplate would do on it. I bet you could plane that thing, it'd probably be like driving a car on wet ice once up but would be interesting.
    Neat, good luck with the decision, would love to see video of it on the water when you get her rigged.

8. Rangerbob

They haven't made the boat in a number of years. I got the last one they had laying around in stock. It is bigger than I originally imagined. But should be extremely stable. I decided to go with the PPF and it is scheduled for delivery today. Hopefully I can get it mounted and in the water for a test run this afternoon.

9. Lastflight

Lastflight Senior Refuge Member

I see you have already decided on a motor, but FWIW I have the Stumpjumper and it has been great.

My buddy has one of those boats. He put a Beavertail blind on it and we hunted two guys and a dog, no problem. They are very cool boats!

Rangerbob likes this.
  10. nick b

nick b Senior Refuge Member

I love my PPF but I think you are going to be disappointed speed wise..I think you will barely do 5 mph with a boat that heavy.