New York Flyway Forum Sponsors

suggestions for a snow goose guide in NY State

Discussion in 'New York Flyway Forum' started by Bob Johnson, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

I got back from my trip with a cooler full of goose meat and a nice blue goose for the wall! I plan on booking again with Frontier waterfowl guide service, with Capt Matt Martin. Actually multiple trips to make use of my out of state permit.

Details
    I hunted book Saturday and Sunday, we had a spread of about 4-5 k decoys (socks, hard shells, full bodies and fillers.) I was a single so I was added to another group of 3. The geese just were slow and not in the area, we saw 1 flock of 60 snows around 1400. Saw a lot of Cans and ducks just nothing to shoot. Weather was cold and windy appx 20-30 mph gust. We use white coverups and layout pads. Conditions were against us but never gave up, but looking back may should have.

Sunday Capt Matt had a full crew and set two of his guides out on the larger spreads and he personally took me to his smaller spread near by. After watching the weather report, Matt told me that we should start seeing geese around 0900, based of conditions and his experience. From sunrise until 0830 I watched all type of waterfowl decoy in, wide range of ducks and Canada geese, It was like clock work a pair of snows dropped in right on time.
    I missed the first opportunity, nerves or excitement either way I watched them fly off like a sad game of duck hunt. We hunted 3 guys in a large a frame blind with a couple inches of water in the bottom,(just enough for me to learn my new (3 months old)red head waders leaked in the bottom of the right foot!!!! Second pair and last pair first pair leaked in the boots as well.) The conditions seemed great, less wind appx 10 mph and warmer temps. After watching pairs fly in we started the talks that come in play during every hunt, when to call it?! Then we heard one of the other teams cut loose. 8 guys ripped into a group of 20 birds, no plugs it was a wonderful sound and just the push I needed 15 mins later a group of 11 came in, 5 flew out, it was on, every 20-30 mins we got groups in the 10 to 15 range until we called it that evening. As we packed up I watch a group of 6 Canada geese decoy and land just 20 feet from the spot I was sitting.
    Matt not only had a great team to support his outtfitt, he stepped in to personally take me. His experience and calling is such an advantage, we didn't have one group of geese, in range that didn't come into the spread on Sunday. Great Sportsman, with a good outtfitter.
    Looking forward to the fall to get some Canada geese with the 15 limits!!!

2. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

Sorry for the long read, short story is I will be booking again with Frontier waterfowl and Capt Matt Martin out of Chazy NY at Lake Champlain.

3. Honker Ace

Honker Ace New Member

Duck Warrior - One of my hunting buddies from Southern Maine convinced to go hunt with Matt in the fall of 2015...My recommendation in the fall would be to skip out on the September hunt with 15 bird limits unless you get in at the end of the month. Keeping tally the last couple years with the weather, their migration has been delayed and while the thought of 15 bird limits sounds great, if the birds are not around then it really doesn't matter the limit. That said, my buddy also got in on almost a hundred bird day of honkers a few years ago, but he was there for the end of September in the final early season days.

My recommendation is early November...When we went in 2015 the snow goose migration was peak (rafts all over Lake Champlain) and there were plenty of ducks and honkers around as well. After shooting only a few snows one day (another group set-up within 150 yards of our spread) Matt took us an hour away to one of his favorite spots that was holding birds and we dropped 40 total between snows, honkers, and mallards. Our crew within the group had correctly assumed most of the birds would push more to the middle of the field and chosen the blinds on that side, so while the shooting opportunities sound limited with 8 guys and 40 birds, we did shoot our honker limits along with 10-12 mallards. The only snows we saw came in one large wave of 300-400 birds and dropped right in at our feet.

The other advantage to waiting until November is that Matt's rate drops to $150 and in my opinion your chances for more shooting are much greater...You could say more bang for the buck, I suppose. I am skeptical of guides in general and do my research but Matt runs a nice operation. Aside from trips to Saskatchewan of the Midwest, running to Chazy for a few days is by far the easiest way for me to scratch an itch for snows in the fall time.

4. Duck Warrior

Duck Warrior New Member

Thanks for the feedback, I will def use that information when booking in the fall.