Taking your kids hunting.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BugDude, Nov 30, 2017.

1. BugDude

BugDude New Member

Couple questions.

At what age did you first take your kids duck hunting?
    Did you get them waders or just carry them out to the blind?

How did it go??

My youngest daughter has been interested in duck hunting for a couple years now. She is 4 and today again kept begging to go this weekend.

I'm thinking of taking her out to the refuge on a Sunday to sit in a blind with me. I'm not sure. She's way young but she's been persistent about it every year since she was 2.

She has hearing protection for shooting but I do not have a pair of toddler waders which is no big deal because she could easily ride in the tub or I could carry her out. Even with waders she wouldn't be able to walk out and now thinking about it while I type it would probably be a disaster if I even let her believe she could go in the water. Haha

Anyhoo. Up for suggestions.

2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

Bundle her up and sled her out! Shallow water, right? Neither of my daughters care for it. Youngest like turkey hunting. I don’t know that I would take mine to public land here anyway. We walk a lot. Mine couldn’t keep up. A mile is a long walk to them.

Squaller and BugDude like this.
  3. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I started going with my Dad when I was 5 and can still remember every hunt!

One of my hunting partners started bringing his kid when he was 2. He helped set up and pick up on every hunt. Wasn't allowed to whine. Kid is a stud and a hunting machine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
    ducknwork, stevena198301 and BugDude like this.
  4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

My kids all went on their first hunts before their first birthday.
    Like any outdoor activity dress for the weather. I was lucky , when my daughters were 3, 5 and 7 we moved to Perry Utah. Certainly one of the best places in the US to raise outdoor kids ( at that time)/
    My daughters spent hundreds of days hunting. When the weather was decent we hike or boated out on the Bear River Bird refuge.

The goal should be to have an enjoyable time,.. eventually they will be good hunting partners.
    we would sit on the bank of the river, canal, ditch , in the boat pit blind. Sometimes the afternoon was spent throwing sticks for the dog, eating treats, coloring, reading, then eventually school work.

I really dont remember how each of their first hunts went. But we have some great memories.

Roasting hotdogs and marshmellows,
    Keep them warm and dry, feed nd never bored.
    Dont hunt like you normally would. Hunt afternoons, mid day, start with shorter hunts.
    Looking back most of our family pictures are of us hunting

goosenazi, stevena198301, tcc and 2 others like this.
  5. salthunter

Now to share one of those memories.
    My daughters, with their bright Barbie pink, purple and red jackets pulled into a blind on a refuge one afternoon.

A guide was set up 500 yards away.
    He later told me how the client thought his hunt was runined.
    The guide told the client to pay attention. If he didnt see a bright jacket there were birds in the air somewhere

BugDude likes this.
  6. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

E9E81CA2-CFCC-409C-BA41-24B175169D98.jpeg
    Take her! Make the day about her. Bring treats. Don’t expect to shoot many birds. Make it fun. Leave as soon as she start showing signs of boredom. Take pictures. Post them here. I take youth hunters out every chance I get. First timer from last week.

igo4dux75, Dale, Squaller and 4 others like this.
  7. thatguy2

thatguy2 Senior Refuge Member

IMG_1504.JPG IMG_1795.JPG Both my kids started at 4. Last year it was warm with no wind not good for ducks but good for a 4 yr old. He rode in the cart. Said it was the best day ever. And a turkey hunt. He was out within 5 minutes of getting in the blind.

igo4dux75, Dale, Squaller and 2 others like this.
  8. salthunter

Good stuff Goosenazi

goosenazi likes this.
  9. goosenazi

goosenazi Elite Refuge Member

Thanks! While I am one of the biggest smart arses on here, getting kids involved in the outdoors is a favorite pastimes of mine.

DuckyPhe, stevena198301 and Jon C like this.
  10. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I would suggest a short afternoon hunt on a refuge to begin. Then a longer one if the child has the ability to handle it. Then try a morning hunt in the dark and go from there. That's what I did with my oldest boy. My youngest is four but he doesn't have the demeanor of my older boy so I am going to wait a bit to get him out. He went out to set decoys at my rice blind and has gone to shot clays once but he needs a few years of maturity before I take him on a hunt.

BTW there is no prize given for getting the youngest kid out hunting. We as fathers are excited to get our boys out but sometimes our excitement can get the best of us.