Taking your kids hunting.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BugDude, Nov 30, 2017.

1. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

3.5 was how old my son was when he first went. Started shooting at 5. He just turned 22 a couple days ago.

2. DtSB

DtSB Senior Refuge Member

My daughter just turned three, and I’ve been exposing her to the hunt prep every chance I get. From organizing my blind bag to cutting brush for my boat, I try to let her help. Every Friday night she asks if I’m going hunting in the morning, and then she tells me she wants to go. And she’s waiting at the door with her boots on when I get home, to come out and see what I’ve gotten.

I “had”to take her with me right after she turned two. We deer hunted from a nearby ground blind for a few evenings. Maybe 1.5 hour hunts. She still talks about going hunting in the tent.

I’ve taken her this fall a few times too, again on evening hunts in a blind. She still loves it and is right there with me looking for animals. She uses the rangefinder as her binocular and is always keeping a lookout. If we get a warm day in January, I plan to take her on her first duck hunt at a local marshy pond, when I’m sure we will have ducks using it.

She’s been fishing with me dozens of times a year since she was about 15 months old. This has really gotten her interested in the outdoors, and it’s easy to keep her interested with her own rod and some crawlers.

igo4dux75 and ducknwork like this.
  3. cjr

cjr New Member

I started taking my daughter when she turned 6. She is 8 now and has gone 3-4 time for each of the last three seasons including this one. She loves it but I have limited her hunts to warm afternoons (which tend to not be so productive). I think she will love the magic of shooting ducks at dawn but right now I'm not sure we will be able to handle the cold early morning boat rides. Next year.

For the type of hunting we do (boats, lots of mud, darkness) 6 is the youngest for me. Our 5 year old has been asking to go for 2 years and next year she will. That being said she loves seeing the birds I bring home and "helps" me pluck them.

My oldest is into it enough that I bought her a pair of neoprene chest waders. The waders have been a huge help as she stays warm and dry even when she falls on her butt in the mud which she has done on every hunt. She also loves just wading around and messing with the decoys.

A few pics from our last hunt:

IMG_3250.JPG IMG_3245.JPG IMG_3271.JPG IMG_3264.JPG

Also bring snacks. I let her munch on junk food while in the blind that she doesn't get at home.

Enjoy the time with your kiddo! It can be really special.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  4. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

I started taking mine when they were 5 or 6. They started shooting a few years later. Will have several yutes in the blind this weekend. I hope the levees are covered with 20 ga hulls when we get done.

igo4dux75 likes this.
  5. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I took my newborn (One month old) son on his first hunt it was great. Dad stared taking me at one year old. I remember every hunt.

6. SPOONKILR

SPOONKILR Elite Refuge Member

kate the duck slayer.JPG Bring lots of snacks!

Squaller likes this.
  7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

That wasnt my intent. Hunting is an activity that can be done as a family. Maybe not every hunt or even most hunts if you hunt alot. Youngsters dont need to shoot or carry a gun, or get up at 3:30 to participate. My dad put me on a deer stand in northern MN at -10 when I was 12 years old. While I was thrilled beyond belief maybe not a good idea for most 12 year-olds.

My daughters are my kids, I love them and enjoy being with them. I figure in our old-age my wife and I will only have them.
    We live in real cowboy country. While some things take a maturity level ( wrangling rough stock, handling a firearm, working with power-tools) other related things can be offered when younger. Lead a gentle horse, move stock on a horse or sit with mom on the horse to push cows, shooting a nerf, gu, then BB gun, hand sanding a project to power sander to surface planer.
    My main point over all kids when young what to be with their parents,.. because as they get older that need is reduced or can disappear.
    I carried all my daughters in a back pack deer hunting and running traps. Easy enough, only short hunts or a dozen traps to check.
    Afternoon duck hunts they help set decoys ( OK it took 10x longer) and evening deer hunting up on a sidehill just a short ATV ride from home. Each of my daughters still do hunting related things.

I just retired from education. At times I was teaching the very "worst" kids in Idaho, or the toughest kids in Washington, Idaho and Utah.
    Some parents are too selfish and should not be parents or need some real training on being a better parent. I all to often heard my dad , my mom, (grandpa, auntie , guardian etc,...)wont take me hunting, fishing, golfing to the game.
    One example, a school wide meeting on what to do with a problem student, I didn't even have the kid in class. Dad ran off, mom instantly married. Mom and new hubby, both professionals, left every morning at 7:00 AM, for breakfast, after work , went out to eat then clubbing until nearly 11:00 PM. For nearly a year this kid only saw his mom for minutes in the morning and part of the week end.
    A girl a few yeas back deer hunted with grandad at ages12, 13, 14, 15, 16. At 17 She complained about wanting to hunt all season and know body would take her that February as a 17 year she was pregnant. She shared with me the only reason she got pregnant is because she wasnt hunting or fishing.

No matter the age or maturity kids can go on hunts, (yes I know their are some kids that shouldnt be around guns, matches or gasoline, ever)

For some it may start out a bit challenging, a changed mindset from "out to kill" to making sure the kid has fun

letmwurk likes this.
  8. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I started taking both kids (both girls) dove hunting at three years old, and both children duck hunting at 4 years old...
    I just took my 4 year old out last weekend. We did an afternoon dove hunt (with plenty of action and shooting), she stayed at my duck shack with me, and we hunted ducks the next morning (slow hunt with only 2 ducks).

Make sure you understand, that when you take a child, you are going for the child and not yourself. I hunt a club, and shot a blind that was more conducive to the comfort of the child than killing ducks... I brought a step ladder that she could both sit and stand on (to see what is going on when I shoot or to watch the dog retrieve birds). I brought my quad, to take her for a quad ride (the highlight of the trip for her). We went to breakfast for "Mickey Mouse" pancakes....

Engage the children, add activities which will be enjoyable to them, make sure that they are physically comfortable, and can see the "action," and do not plan on extended hunts. Let them participate (duck calls, jerk cords, searching the sky for birds, etc.).

Here is my youngest stretching her legs at the blind:
    [​IMG]

Here she is at the end of two hunts:
    [​IMG]

9. Sunklands

Sunklands Senior Refuge Member

IMG_0581.jpg I've been packing both my boys around since dang near they were born born. The wife works a full time job so, I share the duties. I've changed their diapers in the cab of a combine, had to use my belt on their butts in the cab of a Steiger tractor, made ourselves sick on Halloween candy in a deer blind and knuckles all around while running lines in a Jon boat. I've watched them have a lot of highs and lows while on the farm and in the outdoors. They've caught or killed about every thing they can around these parts. It's been the greatest thing to share in my life. It scares me to death knowing they're gonna grow up and possibly leave. This was a favorite pic of mine.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  10. Dale

Dale Senior Refuge Member

As everyone has said. Snacks, make it fun, buy them clothing as better than yours, bring a camera and enjoy. My now 8 year old has been coming since about 4. He does still struggle with looking at the back of his eyelids at times.

Attached Files: