Taking your kids hunting.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BugDude, Nov 30, 2017.

1. igo4dux75

igo4dux75 Senior Refuge Member

KIMG0731.JPG
    KIMG0826.JPG
    KIMG0696.JPG
    Love hunting and fishing with my family. My daughter has been my main partner since she was around 7, and she will be 17 in a month. My son is four, and he has been on a few elk and antelope hunts, and his first duck hunt was on opening day this year. The outdoors are part of our culture!

All these Dads in the previous posts should pat themselves on the back for raising their kids right!

Squaller and marsh man dan like this.
  2. wakenda

wakenda Refuge Member

I started mine at 3 those were pretty short hunts. He is 5 now and does ok as long as I let him out of the blind to play with the dog between flocks of ducks. He is shooting a daisy red rider bb gun with steel bb's. Hasn't managed to get one yet but he made life hard on a coot that landed in the decoys opening morning, that was priceless.

3. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

I went near huntin my first time at ten months, have pictures of me sittin on a dead bear at age 1.

It's up to you. Just make sure the kiddo doesn't get cold or bored.

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Love it!!! Take her out and get her a toy gun or something to make her feel part of the action. Teach her how to be safe and ethical. Bring lots of snacks and if she gets bored, head in. The hunt is 100% making sure she has a good time!

5. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

55ACF612-AE10-4472-AAAF-5296B076BAF0.jpeg This was last season he was 2 let him bring his gun nurf gun he was ready to get a deer he kept calling them like they were dogs and wondering why they would run off. Now he is three and will sit as long as I do in the blind

6. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I took my pregnant wife (sister) out hunting so I stared my son out before he was born hunting. He is 30 now and lives to hunt, no job and he lives in the basement. I am proud. Me, I started hunting when I was in stroller with dad. I remember every singe hunt, he would give us sips of beer and let me shoot. I started shooting a Mossburg pump 12 ga at three. I was mega cool. This is epic stuff.

7. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

you lost me at your wife/sister lol

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Your life story sounds just like mine, except I had an 870

9. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

Only in the south as you know.

10. Silver Wings

Silver Wings Elite Refuge Member

I started taking mine at 5. We live in Fresno Co and hunt the big FR refuge there. The boys are 24 and 26 now and we still duck hunt together...A LOT. Here are some random thoughts on what worked for us.

Gear...put them in gear that you would buy for yourself. I always find it strange that guys could afford waders for themselves, but for their kids not so much. We hunted all weather conditions and they need to be dry and warm...at least as dry as you can keep two little boys in a marsh :l

It has to be about more than just killing ducks. Because it can be slow at times, I would always talk about everything else that inhabited the marsh..."look at that Ibis. Why do you think he has a bill like that?", "This is watergrass, ducks love to eat watergrass. These are the seeds they eat", "These are cockleburs. Ducks don't eat cockleburs, but the refuge manager thinks they do :doh" My kids loved the marsh and all the different animals and plants in it. I would NEVER give them any electronic device to "keep them entertained", the marsh has more than enough entertainment in it, if you look.

We are a team. Public property duck hunting is tough and dad needs team mates, not to be a baby sitter, I really think this is critical. I made them feel as though we were hunting partners and that they had to pull their weight...carrying something, helping with decoys, cleaning birds, ect. They felt like "big boys" and HUNTERS from the start and I really believe it was a huge part of them growing to love it they way they do. This is not to say that I didn't wipe some butts up on the bank...I did, or empty out overtopped waders, or fix lunch, or all the other dad stuff that we do. Just make sure they feel that they are a "WORKING" partner.

I've always liked this photo because of the smiles on their faces. It was in the 30s this morning and raining, but we did manage to kill this bag...of questionable quality :l. The boys are maybe 6 & 7 here. They have never shot a duck, but they love it as much or more than I do. I can't tell you how great it's been to have these two as my partners for the last 20 years.
    upload_2017-12-3_9-54-44.png

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    Squaller likes this.