Taking your kids hunting.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by BugDude, Nov 30, 2017.

1. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

These guys still don't get it??

2. Mort

Mort Elite Refuge Member

Took both my girls pheasant hunting when they were between 8 and 10. The older one never did get into duck hunting, but the younger one did when she was about 16 years old. My oldest grandson started going out to the goose pit with me when he was about 5 years old, and to the duck blind when he was about 7. He started hunting when 10 years old. Same with my second oldest grandson. I still have 4 more grandsons and a grand daughter to introduce to hunting. I should have bought a duck club when I was younger. Main thing about taking kids hunting is keep them warm, fed, and interested. If they start to get bored...its time to go do something else. Its not so much the hunting that they are interested in as just being able to hang out with dad or grandpa.

3. double limit

double limit Elite Refuge Member

Excellent thread, stories and pictures from everyone.
    Thanks to all for sharing.

4. double limit

double limit Elite Refuge Member

5. ARHHH4

ARHHH4 Refuge Member

Took my oldest out dove hunting at two...he's now seven. Took him out on his first duck hunt this year. Bought him a pair of Herters waders at Cabelas and a new camp coat at Academy. He's ate up with it. Couple more years I'll have him takin his hunters safety course so he can pull the trigger himself.

6. BugDude

BugDude New Member

Thanks for all the great replies,ideas and advice.

Spoke to the refuge workers and got the scoop on how to score a blind on Sunday afternoon. Thinking about going out this Sunday. Would have done it last Sunday but she was sick.

Guys said it states in the rules that you can bring a BB gun out with you. Said maybe she'd get a kick shooting it. I happen to have one that I've cut the stock down that her older sister used to shoot. I'm just wondering if she shoots it at a duck if that's considered hunting and therefore she would need a license. I had told the guy she was four so I do not assume he'd think she had a hunting license?

Hopefully will be a good time.

Again thank you all

7. cast&blast

cast&blast Senior Refuge Member

Good luck. Hope it goes great for you and her. And extra plus is if things get slow and she takes a nap you can entertain yourself with the BB gun for awhile.

8. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

I took my newborn this season. Bought him a new CC F 250 and a direct drive on a Xpress 2525. Fully camouflaged with new Avery pop-up. So epic.

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

You never go full retard, man...

10. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

If one of my kids ever kill a duck in the air with a BB-gun, it will simply go on my strap... I think my odds of either child knocking down a bird with the BB-gun they us, is less than me winning the lottery.

A warden would have to be some kind of turd to write up a 4-year old for killing a duck without a license using a bb-gun... And the odds of getting a judge to uphold such a ticket would be even lower (or so I would think).

However, I have had the chance with some large flocks, to shoot birds that the child is trying to shoot, and give them credit for the kill... That can be a pretty exciting moment if the timing works out....

Silver Wings and igo4dux75 like this.