Taxes

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by Daniel D, Feb 11, 2019 at 6:46 PM.

1. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Filling out the W4 these days takes degree in taxation. Yes big refund is not what you should have happen or want although for most that is their savings plan.

2. Brottboss

Brottboss Elite Refuge Member

I break even every year as the wife and I know our annual tax burden and adhere to it.

We both contribute the annual maximum allotment to our 401k/IRA, which equals ~$36k/yr.
    Gotta make sacrifices today for tomorrow's benefit.

Taxes/economics should Be mandatory in HS.

3. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Have not been in for the official run, but I roughed out the numbers the other day. 2 years ago we paid a little to the feds and the state, last year we paid a little to one and got a little back from the other, this year we should get back from each. No state taxes owed on my pension, but I obviously have to pay CA tax on what I make working in dispatch, but that's fine by me. We don't owe anything, don't pay big property taxes, don't have kids at home and don't itemize, so we're not the norm though.

4. cacklercrazy

cacklercrazy Senior Refuge Member

What the feds give the state takes away. It's that simple.

Brottboss likes this.
  5. Allinodad

Allinodad Senior Refuge Member

You couldn’t be more right and it shouldn’t be that Keynesian central planning nonsense either. The government indoctrination centers will NEVER educate the populace to really understand economic theory because that would diminish the amount of control and they have over the masses. Think Free, Think Austrian!

black&blueshoulder likes this.
  6. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

New fed rules were not adopted by the states...got a tiny federal refund, owe the state a not so tiny amount. :z

7. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I have a buddy that teaches at state college marketing and public relations and a few years back I did table of income taxes along with social security and medicare taxes taken out of their paychecks at $50k, $100k and $250,000 as working in bay area especially with tech companies those salaries are normal from starting to few years. The students had no clue the tax burden they would have taken out of tier checks and weren't quite so enamored with the theory of government taxation of the working class their liberal professors waxed as utopia.

Brottboss likes this.
  8. fishdog

fishdog Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I get hosed every year. I’m used to it.

ZDOG and beandog like this.
  9. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

1%er:l

10. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Look what you paid in taxes last year. Net. Now look at the Net you paid this year.

Then decide if you got hosed.

Refund check simply means you paid in too much. Tax rates changed. Some people did not adjust their withholding. Their fault, not the tax change.

Robertd, goose gobbler, API and 2 others like this.