TDB and mud motor

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by Lou Ureneck, Jun 12, 2019.

1. Lou Ureneck

Lou Ureneck Refuge Member

I'm the proud new owner of a used TDB that came with a 16 hp mud motor. I've never used one before --- the boat or the motor, but really eager to get out. Any guidance or advice for me? Appreciate your help.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Is it a longtail mud motor or a short tail? Get out and see what you can do with the motor while summer is here. Better to find out the limitations of where you can go(and maybe push free a hung up boat) while the water is warm. Mudmotors can get you more places than an outboard but they can't get you everywhere. Wear your safety kill switch especially if you have a longtail. If a longtail gets knocked out of your hand and turns at a 90 degree angle to the boat the resulting spin can be dangerous. That's why you want the motor to stop when the tiller handle leaves your hands.

Have fun.

3. Lou Ureneck

HH, Good advice. Thanks! I think it's a long tail --- at least the shaft reaches a good three feet to the prop. I haven't had it out yet but I will soon. (Responsibilities, ugh, interfered.) I hunt a marsh and river in New England that can be a challenge at low tide -- I'm thinking this mud motor is just the ticket. We have nine foot tides here ... more when the moon is right. I may be the first guy in New England to have one of these motors ... I drew a crowd when I brought it home. I'm bringing the entire rig to TDB on Cape Cod to have them check everything out -- want to make sure the transom's strong enough to hold the motor. It's IMG_0007.JPG a lot heavier than I would have thought.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Yep...that is a longtail. I don't see a safety kill switch on that thing, so be careful. The "spin" I talked about in my earlier post can be dangerous if you have a motor that does not return to idle speed when you let go. The tiller comes out of your hand, the motor rotates 90 degrees and you spin and spin at high speed while trying to reach out and gain control of the tiller handle.

That's a pretty nice looking boat. Have fun with it!

5. Lou Ureneck

Thanks for the compliment. I'm thrilled with it -- can't wait to get it into the water. Yes, it is has a kill switch and cord -- the seller (like you) emphasized the importance of using it for safety's sake. I definitely will. I just bought a pup too -- so new boat, new dog and all's right with the world.

Fowler267 likes this.
  6. lax

lax Elite Refuge Member

I'd fab up a brace from just under the mount bolts to the hull somehow. That extension looks like it would put a lot of leverage on the factory transom being that high.

7. Lou Ureneck

Lax, good thought ... I'm guessing there's a lot of stress on that transom, even in just trailering. Thanks, Lou PS -- Have you ever done it? Suggestions on how best to do it?