Teal reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Deck III

Deck III Senior Refuge Member

Have talked to several people around the State from the Northeast through the central part and it just does not appear that they have shown up yet. Hope to be surprised but it is not looking good for the opener.

2. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, we'll see what Larry says. He's flying right now. My brother n law works for Texas Parks & Wildlife has been netting in Matagorda bay. He saw a ton of blue wings this morning in the bay. If I had to guess it is probably like normal, they are concentrated in a few locations till they get smacked and then all hell breaks loose everywhere. Ourselves we don't shooting them in the marsh until later in the morning on opening weekends.

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Made an ag land pass this morning though some of our stuff below Gueydan that's starting to show promise.

4. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Po folks got po ways, bruh. That cooler has cheap beer in it too, bet that

5. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

Flew the first 11 lines in SW LA Monday, and that was the biggest bunch of birds we saw, and on the last transect of the day. But we saw enough that the estimate won't be bad. Marsh is quiet, as you might expect with so much water.

Lots of aircraft problems yesterday; I returned to the airport in 2 malfunctioning planes, and 3 of 4 LDWF aircraft are currently down. We only got to Catahoula and saw maybe 200 teal.

Flying SE today and hope to finish SW on Thursday. Report won't be out til late Thursday best case. More likely on Friday, since I won't be hunting.

6. jhallmark5841

jhallmark5841 Refuge Member

I heard that! 30 stones for 10 bones use to be the moto back in the day.

7. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

Thanks for the update Larry. So pretty much like normal from what you're saying? Did you see some teal in any particular location where they aren't usually found?

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Larry, can you explain why teal season for LA was pushed back as late as possible this year? I'm assuming to give hunters more opportunity at birds. Not that I'm complaining, because they always seem to show up en masse at the end of sept, beginning of Oct where I hunt. Also, would a teal season going into Oct be against federal rules?

9. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

200 teal in Catahoula! Sounds like there will be more hunters than birds.

10. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

I think normal in terms of big concentrations and smatterings here and there. I did expect to cut a few more big groups in SW LA ag country. Maybe tomorrow when we finish transects from White Lake over to New Iberia.

Nothing really unexpected given the flooding in the marsh and pastures in SW LA. I saw far more locations where I expected to see teal, but didn't. SE Louisiana has a lot of pretty good looking habitat with few teal .... at least today. Habitat conditions looked great in a number of places of south of New Orleans down to the mouth of the MS river.