Teal reports

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by Duck Enticer, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

I didn't get to hunt Friday, but Saturday and Sunday were the worst teal opening weekend hunts in the last 13 years at my lease. High water, lack of food production, salvinia covering some ponds, and literally no wind didn't help, but despite the survey report I put out on Friday, there were clearly fewer birds in my particular area than in the past. We saw thousands of birds flying high to the south on Saturday and a fair number ignoring us in the marsh; but saw virtually none on Sunday, high or low.

Some of our folks were collecting samples at picking houses and bag-check stations, and reported much lower than normal success, and worse, saw a relatively large proportion of adult females .... typically the last bluewings to migrate. I hope that wasn't widespread, but ???? LOTS of dissatisfaction with the season setting in some places. Funny, most everybody (except Eric Kirk, one of the few clear objectors) was really happy about it earlier this year, and even made the comments of some local articles .... https://www.vanishingparadise.org/b...ecast-what-local-louisiana-experts-predicting. And guess what? I'm going to recommend the exact same season next year when September 30 falls on a Sunday.

And like always, there were some bang-up reports from Venice, Gueydan, Little Pecan, etc.

2. ducaholic

ducaholic Elite Refuge Member

Looks like the last few days of the season things might improve if the forecast holds.

3. Chicken

Chicken Elite Refuge Member

Horrible opener

4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I've not tracked the actual ratios this year, but also noted a higher than usual percentage of hens on each of our straps to date.

And, fwiw, everyone I know was tickled by the freakishly early cool spell that apparently brought the birds with it - until the weather returned to normal.

5. Duck Enticer

Duck Enticer Elite Refuge Member

I talked to several groups who were in the go zone that struck out due to the fog this weekend. It was weird, saturday morning about 8 this hard wind starts blowing and a hellacious cold sky fog starts blowing on. I thought I was in Stephen King's the Mist.

6. DU4life

DU4life Senior Refuge Member

Had a 5 man limit before 7 Friday morning in grand chenier. Thousands of birds in flooded growth (coffee beans etc) also several hundred mottled ducks. They continued to kill large group limits there through the weekend. Sat and Sunday I hunted ag north of i10 and did fair. Had a 3 man limit by 8 Saturday and 16 Sunday. The fog really hurt everyone in the fields this weekend. Another friend of mine did well in a sweetlake marsh. Did better Saturday than they did Friday. Still hearing reports of lots of birds up north. Also heard they did well on catahoula

7. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Teal season 2017 looks like it's gonna be a near bust. The few that were hanging around my spots right before season have been shot out. I think the early migrating teal came through in July and August with those weird cold fronts and the late migrating teal are still up north. This weather is complete sh|t. The near term forecast is complete sh|t. No weather, no teal. If the long term forecast holds, the last weekend in LA might be good. If I get to LA for the last weekend, and if any birds show up, I might be upgrade my season from a F to a D. As it stands now, I've shot a half a box of shells and this is shaping up to be my worst teal season in at least 10 years. Very disappointing.

8. jrchip1

jrchip1 Elite Refuge Member

A few BWT(blue wing teal) flying around opening weekend. Decided against hunting and focused on dealing with the remnants of Harvey Flooding. Pecan Island always gets hit the worst after everyone to the North drains their cities and farms. Since PI ain't got much political stroke, it ain't hardly got any drainage.

OK, moving on,.....water is draining, evaporating slowly. Saw a couple family's of Black Belly Squealers...with 6-10 babies per pair. Yeah it's kinda late for them.....but......I love to hunt them (during the legal season !!!). Squealers are my all around favorite...."Home Grown" duck.

While doing the "W" today (work) on my once again flooded "pump off", I almost succumbed to heat stroke. Against my better judgment, I said the he..ll with it and dove in the water to cool off. After soaking for +/- 30-45 minutes I climbed back into the boat. The alligators like me....(sure! !!)

TMI...... OKAY....ohhh...didn't see any flying teal this evening. More land prep tomorrow. :h :h

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  9. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Did they just over-fly us, or did you see them somewhere? Only teal I ran into this summer were an occasional pair and one very small likely family that I took to be hold-overs. My biggest duck surprise was not encountering any large wood duck concentrations in the late summer marsh. Most years we'll bump them in some of the marshes we're in and think "teal" until we watch them a moment.

10. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I was seeing large flights of teal in the open gulf flying south in July, which is not unusual except for the fact that I usually don't see them out there in those numbers until September and Oct. Admittedly I don't start running around in the marsh until a couple weeks before teal season, so I don't know if the marsh was ever "loaded" long before the season started. The front that came through a little over a week ago obviously brought some new birds with it, but those are long gone and no new birds have replaced them. Long story short Rick, I don't know for sure, just guessing based on the weird weather patterns over the last couple months.