The 16 Gauge, an inconvenient truth

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by JP, Nov 10, 2017.

1. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor Flyway Manager

Just a bit of history showing that a 3" 16 gauge was offered and was done already. My thoughts are if it was done once it could be done again if it was in demand, which it's not.
    As for killing ducks with the 16 gauge, your invited to try mine anytime with my steel loads and see how it does for you, believe you'd be pleasantly surprised.

JP likes this.
  2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Refuge Member

I have no idea if this would happen; infact I'm certain it wouldn't. But I'm just wondering if a company came out with a new 16 and made it longer say 2 7/8 or 3" are there enough guns in circulation that were produced previously for pressure to be a concern? If the numbers are so few I wonder if possibly a 16 ga could be made that would be labeled a new shotshell and have new saami specs similar to how the 3.5 12ga was handled. This could interest a company possibly as being a new high performance shotshell. They could load to higher pressures than any of the other standard shells.

Just thoughts. Interested to see what others think. I certainly enjoy my 16ga with 1500+ fps steel. Works well on the ducks.

3. 10GAGENUT

A high pressure 16 gauge loading would work just probably not have a market because you'd be shooting the same payloads as the 2 3/4" 12 gauge.
    If anything try and get a market somewhere or fill a niche, now a high pressure 10 gauge gun would work and have a market IMO. With steel shot you can easily fit 1 3/4 oz of steel shot in a 3 1/2" 10 gauge hull something you can't fit in the 3 1/2" 12 gauge. Raise the 10 gauge up to the same pressure as the 3 1/2" 12 gauge and your shooting 1 3/4 oz loads at 1400 to 1500 fps. For example 1 3/4 oz of steel T's is the payload equivalent of the old 2 oz lead BB load, give it some velocity and it's ballistics are equivalent to.

4. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I have no doubt that I could kill a duck with a 16 gage gun. I've seen plenty of them killed with a 20 gage.
    The question remains: Over the long haul, will you kill more ducks or kill them more efficiently with a 16 gage than with a 12 gage or a 3" 20 gage? The obvious answer is: no and probably not.

Is there a tangible advantage in using the 16 for waterfowl??
    Isn't that what this discussion is about? :scratch

5. Fishun Injun

Fishun Injun Refuge Member

Ahhhhh....You must have ridden the short Bus during school days!!

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Over a 20 possibly. By virtue of larger bore patterning larger shot better.

7. Tuleman

What is this "school" you speak of?

8. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

10GAGENUT touched on one of the premise points of the OP in that if bigger is always better, we should forsake all gauges except for the 10 gauge as it is the largest legal one allowed. Cramming 1 1/4 ounce of lead in a 20 gauge 3" magnum has the same efficacy as the 3 1/2" 12 gauge steel load as in both instances, you're trying to get a longer shot column to do what a larger bore (16/20 & 12/10) will already do and do it better.

9. 10GAGENUT

The late gun writer Don Zutz was a big fan of the 20 gauge, I found a lot of his articles on loads and patterning the 20 interesting. He pointed out just by changing the powder and wad in heavy 3" 20 gauge loads that patterns could be thrown off 20% or more, I'm sure some other gauge guns have the same problems but he stressed the point about patterning all loads and chokes with 20 gauge guns.

10. Tuleman

I have Don Zutz's two books on shotguns/shotgunning. He was also a big fan of the 12 gage. One gage that barely gets a mention in either of his two books is.....the 16 gage.
    And that's the subject of this thread.