The Black Death

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by H20DAD, Nov 18, 2017.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

has begun.....

8E0C4A78-FD8E-4DE6-A0B1-5A6B283551E6.jpeg

2. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Nutin' but "SWEET" there :tu

3. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Looks like a happy boy! I'd love to hunt those one day.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

We don't have a plethora of those around here but I'd like to smack one someday. Buddy of mine down your way gets into them on a regular basis.

5. Porter Bayou

Porter Bayou Senior Refuge Member

What they taste like? We've got a decent summer population around here now, but most are long gone by start of season.

6. H20DAD

Prime rib with duck fat flavor added.

Myself and the kids eat them one meal a week minimum.

Bang would have been proud today. I shot more shells stopping cripples before they hit the cattails than knocking them out of the sky. Two scotch doubles and one regular double.

Those cripples are tough.

All #6 shot.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

Why #6? If I was hunting and having to shoot birds all the way down over thick cover, which I do! I would go up a size in shot and see if it helped with more dead in air hits.
    Not doubting you, just curious to see what your thinking is behind sticking with the #6s. I shoot #5 teal steel and #4s through a open spreader tube and it flat out smashes mallards inside of 35 yards. The only thing I shoot #6 at are crips on the water out of the boat, it rolls'um up good, works great on divers, large puddlers and geese.

Sweet hunt!:tu

8. H20DAD

Because small shot increases my chances of head and neck shots OR two broken legs and a broken wing OR two broken wings and a broken leg.

Black bellies are the worst darn cripple on the planet. I’ve had guys I hunt with knock down 10 and find one. And this example was in knee deep water with almost no cover.

I also hit a lot more scotch doubles with the smaller shot and try to do it on purpose.

And the meat quality is very good with the smaller shot. My typical bird has no shot in the breast and if it does the meat is not as traumatized.

I kill these birds for the table and try to do it as quickly and effectively as possible with the highest quality meat.
    I’ll switch to #5 when jumping them later in the season when they are more nervous.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

dfhdfddfdzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzxfzx
    Your idea about small shot would fit right in with how I shoot the little beaver pond surounded by 12' tall tules that I hunt. shoot'um close and you don't need that bigger shot. :tu

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Think of it as a hunting partner for life!!

Congradulations