The "Downtrodden"" Are At It Again

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Doc E, Aug 10, 2018.

1. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Has no bearing on me...don't care what others do with regards to the anthem/flag....it's a free country and they're free to be turds if they choose. I like duck hunting during the fall and could care less about watching a football game. Plus, our local team is the Detroit Lions and I swore them off after thier 0fer season. Lions Free since '03

DTHUR likes this.
  2. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

3. KSRedleg

KSRedleg Elite Refuge Member

I listen to games on the radio. Haven't seen any problems with players kneeling.

Squaller and J.Bennett like this.
  4. Geez n Quackers

Geez n Quackers Senior Refuge Member

if I had the power to make all of those individuals stand at attention, hand over their heart, I would not force them. That said, I can say that the behavior sickens me. And like many I will exercise my freedom to reflect my displeasure by tuning out a league of individuals paid millions to play a child's game.

What they, and many don't seem to get is that America represents an ideal! The flag is a symbol of freedom, the anthem a call, or reminder of that ideal that was paid for by the blood of many before us. There will always be injustice as long as men administer justice. And if the NFL and the players blessed to partake, targeted their ire directly at the wrong committed, and sacrifice some of their good fortune for those facing injustice, then they would have my respect and admiration. And some certainly do outside of the game itself. And I do admire them. But if all of us turn our backs on the ideal that is America for every wrong or grievance we encounter, then what will bind us together?

Funny because Christianity faces the same hurdle. Many turn away because they see flawed men that cannot live up to the ideal that is worthy of striving for.

sdkidaho, GK1, newduk and 4 others like this.
  5. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Agreed. I could be wrong, but this is not something I can envision ever spreading into the college ranks. The level of control that a coaching staff has over it's players is SO much higher in college than in the NFL. Most college players still fear/respect their coaches second only to God.

6. rism

rism Senior Refuge Member

I'm too busy hunting something, squirrels, dove, teal, geese, ducks, quail, etc. to watch the idiots in the NFL knock each others brains out. Just don't have the time !!!

7. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

1. I watch the NFL
    2. I don’t care if they stand on their head during the anthem.
    3. I will stand and put my hand over my heart during live anthems.
    4. The NFL powers that be really screwed this up.
    5. I hope Trump does not comment again. I’m 99% sure he will or already has n will fan the flames and give this way more publicity than it deserves.

TheDuckSlayer and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Although I played football in high school, I really don't much watch the sport on TV. I am generally out hunting every Sunday during the NFL season. I may watch a playoff game or two or maybe the Super Bowl. I think some of the college games / rivalries are more exciting, but I find it hard to sit down in front of the TV and blow a Saturday.

I don't know if any of you watched the anthem before the recent All Star Game for America's true sport: baseball. Not only was every player standing on the baseline (not kneeling, not sitting), but most of them including quite a few Latin American players, had hands on their heart during the anthem. I mean, some of these guys aren't US citizens, but still chose to hold their hand over their heart in respect to the country where they were able to shed their dirt poor beginnings and become famous and wealthy men. In this gesture, they show respect and celebrate America as the land of opportunity.

I am not necessarily going to get in a twist if someone wants to protest during the Anthem, but I am saying it does not happen in baseball.

9. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Why did you delete the editorial portion of your original post? Now my original response doesn’t make any sense.

If you think no one should watch or support in anyway the NFL because an insignificant minority of players exercise their god-given rights to protest perceived injustices in their community using the platform they’ve earned for themselves, you should say so. You should tell every US citizen that you’re right, they’re wrong if they disagree and no one should ever protest anything ever again.

Mr. Chokesonducks likes this.
  10. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Perfect. Absolutely perfect.