The "Downtrodden"" Are At It Again

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Doc E, Aug 10, 2018.

1. riverrat47

riverrat47 Elite Refuge Member

I don't know about that. I just saw a big piece on TV last night about the Cub players working with youngsters on an off day. Used to hear quite a bit about the charity work done by Bear players...Walter, Mike Singletary, "Peanut" Tillman. Still hear about the humanitarian efforts of JJ Watt.
    Godell is nothing if not a good promoter for the league and getting big bucks for advertising. You can bet he's working overtime at getting maximum press for every good nfl story and trying to squash every negative event.

2. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Somethings are legal some illegal.Some are ethical some arnt.

4. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I guess that I don't understand your comment.
    I'm not debating whether or not the kneeling players' cause is just. (That's a whole different thing and I cannot say that I've even made up my mind whether I agree with it or not.)
    But I'm genuinely asking...
    If you felt that a group of fellow Americans was being treated unjustly because of their appearance, and that you were in a position to draw attention to that, would it not be the ethical thing to use your position to try and better the situation of your countrymen?

Duck_Hunter_TX likes this.
  5. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

They are entitled to protest and they can use position to draw attention. They can also risk losing millions of fans and money because of their choices but that won't happen. Most of the people complaining about it are too spineless to stand up for what they believe and stop watching the games. Put up or shut up boys. I have refused to watch games since the showboating got so bad 10-15 years ago. Proud to say I have NEVER seen the losers kneeling. I no longer watch the NBA for the same reasons. Once again, put up or shut up.

Doc E and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  6. Duck_Hunter_TX

Duck_Hunter_TX Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

My response that you quoted was to the OP who edited his post to remove editorializing that provided the context. Since this thread is so old, I don’t even remember what he said, and you may not agree with my response even if we had the context, but it changes my response.

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Just the title of this thread is dam stupid. Surely no one on this site is obtuse enough to think professional athletes and celebrities raking in millions of dollars in contracts and endorsements consider they themselves to be downtrodden....

Conversely, they recognize their fortunate lot in life and high social platform to bring awareness to their fellow black citizens who may not have the means to garner national attention. You cant argue what they're doing doesnt work, hell...they got a bunch of middle aged white duck hunters to engage in a civil rights discussion...

fishnfool likes this.
  8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Just the title of this thread is dam stupid. Surely no one on this site is obtuse enough to think professional athletes and celebrities raking in millions of dollars in contracts and endorsements consider they themselves to be downtrodden....

Conversely, they recognize their fortunate lot in life and high social platform to bring awareness to their fellow black citizens who may not have the means to garner national attention. You cant argue what they're doing doesnt work, hell...they got a bunch of middle aged white duck hunters to engage in a civil rights discussion...

9. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Wouldn't the ethical thing to do be to protest on your own time instead of on the job?

10. wingmatt

wingmatt Elite Refuge Member

Maybe, maybe not. But I don't consider it ethical they figuratively spit on our flag, on my father, and on the nation.

Doc E likes this.
  11. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

I dunno. I probably haven't given it enough thought, but two points come to mind:

1. As an athlete (pro or even college) you're never "off the job". By that, I mean you're always representing your team, school, whatever. Just because it's not game season, doesn't mean you can act the fool. This is especially true in pro sports because you're always on contract. Not just for the season.

2. If you genuinely think you're on the side of righteousness (again, I'm not saying they are or aren't) then you'd obviously want to do whatever it is that you feel you need to do when and where it will have the most impact. For these players, that it certainly while the camera is on them during the season.

So again, if they feel they're acting "ethically" by bringing attention to their cause, then I guess that the the "most ethical" thing for them to do is what they're doing. Also, I think it's a slippery slope that the owners probably don't want to touch. Because the obvious response is, "What other ethics-minded acts do we then tell players they have to do on their own time?" You and I both know where that argument goes.