The finger lakes?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by DWB5, Mar 3, 2018.

1. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

Phelps,New York (Heart of the Finger Lakes)
    Just be prepared, NY does not offer 3 or 5 day licenses. Whether you hunt 3 days or not, you pay for the year.

2. BAYDOG

BAYDOG Moderator- Diver, NY Forum, Refuge Classifieds Sponsor Moderator Flyway Manager

I wanna say it's close to 100?

3. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Oh really. I would not have figured that but it will be ok. Thanks again for the help.

4. Ringbill

Ringbill Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager

I was with my duckin' buddy a few decades ago, when he shot a nice greenhead
    here in Minnie----banded in the Fingers Lake region!

Ringbill

DWB5 and River Duck like this.
  5. BAYDOG

Probably Montezuma NWR. It sits at the top of Cayuga Lake!

6. aecrowell

aecrowell Senior Refuge Member

Bring a rig of 150 + decoys. You'll want a pod of divers that includes bluebills, redheads, and cans. Puddle ducks mostly mallards with some black ducks, a few bull pins for color.

Bring at least a dozen canada goose floaters as there are lots of geese during the late season.

Try to get there the day before the season opens and drive the shore line scouting. Route 90 on the east side, route 89 on the west. You'll also need to scout out what access you'll be using. Late season lot of boat ramps are froze up. Bring shovels I've had to clear out a ramp or two before I could launch.

Don't be concerned with just setting up in the open water the birds will work as long as you have good cover. Top covers are a must, not so much for the divers but there are lots of puddle ducks as well as geese that work in high.

Be careful, and watch the wind. Cayuga can churn up quick and start to pounding the windward shore. Keep that in mind when you choose the access that you plan on using.

There are lots of private access around the lake. Knock on some doors and you may find one close to where you want to hunt.

DWB5 likes this.
  7. DWB5

DWB5 Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for all the help guys. It is looking promising that I may be able to pull this of. If I able to get to go. Thanks again for the help. And more advice is appreciated.