Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Further Adventures of BigBand and HH

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by HaydenHunter, Dec 4, 2005.

1. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Warning: the following story contains graphic descriptions that may be too disturbing for the faint of heart.

Soooo, yesterday Big Band and I decide to hit a spot that is renowned for goose shooting when it is turned on. It has been a dry hole of late but changing weather patterns or perhaps the arrival of new birds have brought them back into this area. We are set up in the middle of a bay hunkered down in the blind and surrounded by 40 of my finest goose floaters. The birds are coming by for a visit. A pair comes in and escapes our fullisade. We later discover that BigBand shoved 2's into his gun in the predawn darkness instead of BBs and that I still had my terror .675 choke in the gun. Yes, you can put a tight pattern right by them at 25 yards if you are not on it. We did rock their world and they left our spread minus a couple of feathers, only to glide into a spread 300 yards away where they were quickly dispatched. Hey, glad to be of service.

The next pair that comes in wasn't so lucky. I dropped the biggest goose I have ever shot and BigBand nails his mate. His goose does the classic 150 yard flyout before dropping stone dead in midair.

We have other flocks that come in that wouldn't finish. Because there were other hunters set up in the area we decided to play nice and let the birds work (we declined on one really nice legit pass shot that we regretted almost instantly).

It was very encouraging to see the birds working this area again. Every group was getting decent shooting. But it came to a very abrupt halt for us.

A malodorous scent alerted us to the fact that one of our dogs was having a gastrointestinal event. Now remember that we are moored in the middle of the water with terra firma a couple of hundred yards away. Which one of our pooches has left us a present and where was it? While we were searching and sniffing BB's dog Gypsy began to create quite a stir and was looking very frantic. Our powers of deduction were confirmed when she actually tried to bail from the boat so as to take care of her needs in a ladylike and private manner.

We snapped into action and dropped the MudBuddy QuickFlip blind, preparing to make for shore full steam. But Gypsy could no longer wait. She ran up to the bow and, seeing a nicely wadded front portion of the blind, let nature take it's course.

I don't want to get too graphic, but as we watched in horror she cut loose (and I do mean loose) in a manner reminiscent of the scene in "Dumb and Dumber" where Lloyd gives Harry an Ex-Lax "mickey" and, well, nature takes it's course. :eek: The words "projectile" and "spew" most aptly describe what we saw coming out of that little dog. At one point my dog looked at me as if to say, "cool. I didn't know we were allowed to do that in the boat." Our hunt was over, and let me tell you, picking up dekes was no fun either.

Now, we get back to the launch and neither of us is getting near the front half of the boat. We hastily tie down the blind (no one is touching it much less putting on the travel cover) and beat our way back down to Coeur d'Alene and a self-service car wash. The vision of two fully-camouflaged hunters in 22 degree weather in waders pressure washing a boat with blind set up (dekes spread out to receive their bath) must have seemed odd to passerby. :z

I achieved two new personal bests yesterday. I shot what I am convinced is by far my largest goose ever and I took what was easily the longest shower I have ever taken. Even hot water could not erase the images playing back through my mind. The coup de grace was my wife asking me for the umpteenth time exactly what it was I found so fun about hunting.

But I forgive Gypsy. That little dog (55#?) has more heart than any I have ever seen. She was the one that dragged in my record goose. I wanted to take a picture because I swear that goose was physically as big as she is. But I got sidetracked.

I am putting another page in the memory book that BigBand and I will share when we are too old to hunt and relegated to reliving our past adventures. "Remember the day when...". Believe it or not the whole experience was so funny and bizarre we laughed our way through it.

2. moe mallard man

moe mallard man Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the story, I needed that. It's another slow day at work. That is one day to remember.

3. Hambone

Hambone Elite Refuge Member

Hayden,

You gotta quit givin' that dog those mini-donuts. :l Funny story! Glad it was you and not me though. :yes

4. GUDucks

GUDucks Elite Refuge Member

LOL:l HH and BB that's got to be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time, Good Story!! Glad you were able to bag some decent birds too and hopefully the crowds repaid your class act hunting to let birds work. Good luck with the Holiday hunting.

Until Soon

GU

5. Blue Duck

Blue Duck Elite Refuge Member

Looks like your going to have to stock some pampers in the boat........ **** happens.

6. gonehuntingagain

gonehuntingagain Senior Refuge Member

Too funny!!

Congrats on the huge honker.

7. perch head

perch head Senior Refuge Member

HH, I run a mudbuddy quick flip also, do you brush it up any for the spot you guys hunt? Funny dog story, also birds are moving down.

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Gotta love a good dog,.. 3ven if they arent feeling the best!!

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

perch head,

Thanks for the heads up about the birds. Too bad I won't be able to check it out this weekend. Going to chase pheasants in Oregon.

I have brushed the QuickFlip in the past but I am generally too lazy. We are usually up against a bank and trees and not sitting in a grassland with the boat. I think the blind sticks out a bit more when you are in the grass than it does against banks, rock, docks, etc.

If any of your buds up Bonners way want a blind or mud motor shoot me a pm. BigBand and I are the MudBuddy dealers for N. Idaho and are proud to be sponsors of this state forum.

Like the way I snuck that Spam in?

10. GUDucks

GUDucks Elite Refuge Member

HH, PM at you.