Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Missus' Cabin -

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Thanks Guys -
    I cant help but thank my buddy for putting this up for us a bunch. We're paying him and its worth every penny. Not everyone knows how to put these things together and why they are cut like they are cut.
    We get our little "Maggie Mae" this afternoon and pretty excited about that.
    A new old cabin and a pup at the same time.

Thank goodness the weather is breaking with temps above freezing.

Stuff' - Stay off the stump for awhile...

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'....

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Really old log cabins were chinked with a clay and hog hair mixture. Sposed to have helped bind it together.

Read down in the "Chinking Repair" section. http://www.nps.gov/tps/how-to-preserve/briefs/26-log-buildings.htm

3. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Thanks Daniel -
    I kinda thought it was something like that but wasn't sure... I reckon I'll use whatever they say to mix up and stick in there. I do have some chink that we used for our new cabin and that stuff is EXPENSIVE!!! 5 gallons
    for 100.00+...

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.....

4. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Prolly high tech log cabin chinking. That sounds kind of funny when you really think about it.

But I reckon most folks ain't got a yard full of wooly hogs needing to be shaved either.

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Believe it or not, we had a "farrow to finish" hog operation. We could and did top out about 75 at a time. Automatic feeders and all. boy, was it ever stinky.
    My father-in-law use to laugh at me and tell me it smelled just like money to him.
    I had a meeting in Chicago(Elk Grove Village, Il to be exact..) one afternoon after we had sorted out a bunch to go to the sale in the morning. After three showers before I left Nashville, when I got to the meeting, several folks said that someone must have stepped in something because it smelled like fresh poop in the meeting room.
    I started laughing, and told all of the "city slickers" that I had stomped around in about 6" of money at 5am that morning and it wouldn't wash off...

I closed the deal, but got out of the hog business shortly after that. It was the same thing on the plane going up and back also.....

The only kind of hog I like is on the grill or in the skillet.

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'......

6. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

"But I reckon most folks ain't got a yard full of wooly hogs needing to be shaved either."

Go to Walmart this Friday night with this warm up and you will find plenty.:joker

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon all -
    We got a something going on... The trusses are going up...

[​IMG]

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.....

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning All -
    Another long day but we got more finished. One side of the roof now has the metal on and the other side should go on today. Its really looking good
    (to us anyway, as in the eyes of the beholder thing...). The Missus' is loving it so that's all that matters to me. This is a sloppy pix but here it is this morning..

[​IMG]

Me, Maggie, and Stuff'...

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

10. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Reminds me of some of the buildings on my Uncles old farm down in Crawford County. He was the last of the Horse farmers down there and he had 4 Log
    Buildings like that one. Some of the joints on the Log buildings were done with wooden pegs. I helped him take down the very last one of those old buildings and it was a real chore!
    A couple of years later I went back down there and helped another Uncle
    remodel the old farm house they lived in. Aunt Eveland was so excited about what we were doing.......putting in new "leneolum floor, florasceen lamps in the ceiling and wunna them indoor slush torluts!"
    A few years later they hit OIL on their farm and they moved into town.:clap