Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Missus' Cabin -

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Whamo1958

Whamo1958 New Member

Is he a contractor or just an individual that you knew and where is he located

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Morning Wham...
    I sent you a p.m.

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.....

3. CharlieC

CharlieC Elite Refuge Member

That cabin looks like home to me:tu

4. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Thanks Charlie -
    Now that its closed up(fore the most part anyways...), the old smells for years of cooking and fire burning are coming out. It smells wonderful!
    You can just imagine what all went on in there from day to day activies.

[​IMG]

We have 2 or 3 different wood and or wood cook stoves to put in it, but we just haven't decided which way to go..

[​IMG]

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.....

5. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the finished interior.

6. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Me too! The Missus' has bunches of thoughts but nothing is written in stone.
    It will look quite primitive ( like its suppose to but with some flair) as she is so good at that.

We are just wanting spring and green stuff to get here.

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'........

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Fellas -
    Its time to get back started on finishing up with the Missus' cabin. My buddy had been tied up on another job for the last couple of weeks but should be back this week to finish his part - Chinking the inside.

We went last week to a fantastic sawmill and picked up the rough sawed Popular 1 x wides for the floor and a huge bundle of Popular slabs for finished up "the look" of the cabin. Everything is sure coming together. When it gets finished, we're going to move back her wagon we got a couple of years ago and put it up close to the cabin.

[​IMG]

Every evening when the temperature is decent, I love to sit on the new cabin porch in my Dads old rocking chair and look at the old cabin. Its just a calm look and it sure makes you(at least it does my missus and I) smile. I guess it has to do with being more "seasoned" now.

[​IMG]

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'......

8. CharlieC

CharlieC Elite Refuge Member

Rex, you sure are a blessed man, you got four places you can call home if needed. I love the old cabins and wish I could have lived in the 1800's, think I was born a hundred years too late. Just think, back when they were first built there were no income taxes and you were free to do whatever you wanted. It is good that you can keep things from the past from being destroyed.

My mother in law lived and grew up in a log home, but the property was sold years ago and the new owner has done nothing to preserve the old home. The Museum of Appalachia asked for it to put up on there property, but the owner told him no. Now it is not worth trying to salvage. I went in it once and it was a danger to be inside of it.

Anyway I sure have enjoyed reading about your cabin and how it has gone together. Enjoy many evenings on the porch:clap

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon Fellas -

Charlie - Thank you so much for your comments. We do feel truly blessed and we don't take it for granted. We have always just tried to live our lives low key and take care of own. These cabins have a life of their own it seems. It sure changes the way you look at things. The work that went in to building them with the tools of their day is just amazing. Wen you put one back together, even with what we have to work with is tough. Its certainly a hands on project. My Missus' told me last night that this chinking IS going to get finished this week cause SHE is going to be helping and will be cracking the whip so to speak. Well, she is there! Doing her part t make this thing happen!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of our favorite places to visit is the Museum of Appalachia. Our good friend, Ms. Jil Peterson - owner of "The Simple Life" magazine sponsors a week-end long event every fall and has vendors of primitive goods from all over the U.S. Its an incredible weekend! We love going through all of the cabins on the hillside in the fall. Its quite special! Looks like we will be putting the floor down this weekend for sure, Good Lord willing!

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'......

10. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Today, ought to be the finish day as far as chinking goes and my Missus' is in the thick of it. I get to watch the dog and do the office thing with my son.

We got the ceiling secured to the cedar log and the inside chinking is being completed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course, old Marice` was standing around outside watching all the tools and he had bummed a smoke off one of the help..

[​IMG]

This cabin thing is sure cutting into me & Stuff's fishing!

me, Maggie, & Stuff'......