Tennessee Flyway Forum Sponsors

The Missus' Cabin -

Discussion in 'Tennessee Flyway Forum' started by rtjrex & MollyAnn, Feb 14, 2014.

1. rtjrex & MollyAnn

rtjrex & MollyAnn Elite Refuge Member

ThorneSide Cabin @ Plantation Bottoms' at the bott
    Good morning -
    Me and my Missus' finally got the floor done. We thought for sure that we were going to run out of material. After finishing, we ended up with about 12 linear feet (that aint very much...) of wood left over. A whole bunch of bending over, nailing, cutting, measuring, etc... Whew, boy am I glad that's done. My Missus' is just tickled to pieces...

[​IMG]

Im so sore and stiff that I can hardly walk. We decided last night that we don't want to build another cabin. ThorneSide Cabin, our living room cabin 3 yrs ago, and this one ought to finish us up on cabins!

We got other things to do like bush hog, fence, plant, fish, cut grass, have a crawfish eatin', all of the important things that need to be done in the springtime!

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'....

2. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning Gents -
    The Missus' had me moving rocks this weekend to underpin her cabin. It was a bunch of bending over and lifting - a bunch... We got 1 & 1/2 sides finished before we cried "uncle". Enough already! We also cut and attached some rough sawed Popular slabs on the ends of the ceiling joists to cover the raw edges and made it look very old.
    [​IMG]

Its really coming together quite nice. It is a bunch of hands on work but worth it. The Boss is now on the hunt for an old "rope bed" for the cabin. Someone has got one out there that she is looking for.

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'......

3. westuffem

westuffem Elite Refuge Member

Now you know why the men didnt live past 40 back in those days.:p

4. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

Beautiful!:tu

5. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Thanks Fellas -
    The tractor with the front end loader helps a bunch but its still "hands on" putting the rocks into place. That cabin is definitely a labor of love.

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.......

6. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

The site of that old wagon sure brings back childhood memories of "Christmas Vacation" when I was just a pup. My Dad sent me down home (Crawford County) Ill. to help my Uncle Sam pick corn behind a team of horses.
    The wagon looked exactly like yourn but we put high-bed slats on it to make it
    hold more corn on each pass.
    Having nuthin but high-buckle boots to pull over our shoes we like to froze our
    feet solid! It seems that it took the rest of the day to get our feet thawed out!
    I can't recall that it hurt me none other than the mizery of feeling frozen thru-and-thru for 5 days or so but I can't really say it was anything to enjoy!:eek:

Ya shure got a nice looking set-up there.

7. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Thank you Dan'l -
    We put up a rough sawed slab of Popular on the end of the joists of the porch to hide the raw edge also. We just love it. We ore in the process of putting that old wagon back together beside the cabin. We moved it because it was sitting right where the cabin needed to go.

[​IMG]

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.....

8. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Morning All -
    My Missus' was cracking the whip again this weekend. No Fishing...
    1st on the list was to get the back side of the cabin underpinned with rock/field stones. Big rock.. Maggie helped so it took twice as long but got it done..

Next on her list was to re-assemble her old wagon she got bout' 3 yrs ago for $50.00 It took a while, (mainly cause I had no idea how it was suppose to go back together..) but we got that done. The wheels are pretty much rotted out so it cant stand any pressure on them. I had to put it up on pillars which had to be level. Anyway, its done and marked of the list also. Her part was to paint the door cause the white was not working at all.

[​IMG]

A little more hole filling and caulking and she ought to be able to start putting her items in it. She is excited!

Ole Marice` & Jose have moved around to the back side of the cabin and have got the neighbors across the road all upset. They think there are homeless folks hanging around. Peeping toms if you will....
    [​IMG]
    nosy neighbors!
    Me, Maggie, & Stuff'.....

9. rtjrex & MollyAnn

Afternoon all -
    The Missus' has been workin on the inside of her "Anderson Cabin" lately.
    I finally got to take a pix of it. Its still a work in progress but its coming along nicely.
    I took a "panoramic" with my cell phone. But here it is...

[​IMG]

she has several more items to put in it and she is trying real hard to keep it primitive as in what would be in it 150 yrs ago...

Me, Maggie, & Stuff'......

10. CAPTNDAVIE

CAPTNDAVIE Senior Refuge Member

Thats a nice cabin! What did you use for the flooring? I see you face nailed it so I assume it is just planks and not tongue and groove. Oak?