Thinking about an extended vacation to Thailand...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by The Other David, Aug 3, 2018.

1. mmayes

mmayes Diver Forum Mod Moderator

FIFY

Mayes

2. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

I've been to Thailand at least a dozen times over the last 20 years. Tons of awesome things to do and see. Chang Mai, Chang Rai, Phuket, Bangkok, Railay Beach, Ko Tarutao near Satun.

Yes, there is a seedy side to Thailand but if that's not your bag then there is awesome sights, food and culture. My absolute favorite place is Ko Tarutao. It's a national park and off the radar of most tourists. I went there with my wife, brother and sister-in-law. The accommodations are spartan (or at least they were) but it was unspoiled and had amazing beaches. We had a 4 mile section of beach to ourselves for several days with great snorkeling and just hanging out. The only place I've been in Thailand that I didn't like was Pattaya. From what I've gathered it was the main R&R place during the Vietnam war and has never lost the sex tourism part from that.

There are some great golf courses, you can do elephant encounters where you don't ride them but get to experience the day as a handler would and washing a baby elephant is about the most fun you can have. Damn things are as playful as a puppy, albeit a several hundred pound puppy.

Do your best to stay away from the tourist traps and seedy areas and you'll have a great time. Thailand is known as the land of smiles and the Thai people are some of the friendliest and kindest people you will ever meet.

3. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

Ah yes. Pattaya Beach. I’ve heard lots of crazy stories about that place. Luckily we stopped in Phuket which sounds a hell of a lot nicer but still lots of anything you could ever want.

4. WoodMoose

WoodMoose Senior Refuge Member

exactly - concur with this assessment

been a long time since I was there, 30 years to be exact, but did 6 trips to Thailand, 6 weeks each back then. Lop Buri was another place to visit - just be careful at Monkey Square

The Other David likes this.
  5. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

You could email them to me...

6. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

Yes, please.

7. duckmann

duckmann Elite Refuge Member

Sent you a message.

8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Q: How do you spot a blind man on a nude beach?

A: It isn't all that hard.

TheDuckSlayer and stevena198301 like this.