Tomorrow starts the fun

Discussion in 'Montana / Wyoming Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator

Got to the RV here in Ennis on Tuesday evening and are all settled in for the summer. Been tying flies, and today I did a little organizing, and I think I've got my main box stocked well enough to start hitting the lakes. Even tied a small box full of attractor patterns just to experiment with. I'm hoping the damsel hatch this year produces the same quality fishing it did last year. Gonna make an excursion over to the Hamilton area the end of this month to try out our cargo trailer conversion while we attend the Hard Times Bluegrass Festival. Meeting with the contractor again on Monday trying to get a building plan/schedule put together in the hopes that by this time next year I'm sitting on my own front porch in the mornings drinking coffee and enjoying the view of the Madisons. Not going to the movie this week because I have no real interest in watching Elton John's life story, but next week looks promising. Heading out to fish a lake in the morning and see if the trout are interested in any of what I've tied. No matter what, it'll still beat working.

Main Box 1.jpg Main Box 2.jpg Experiments.jpg

Pastor and Out of focus like this.
  2. Out of focus

Out of focus Refuge Member

Man that sounds like the life! Good luck on the trout

3. Mean Gene

It wasn't a bad first day.

Trout 1.jpg Trout 3.jpg Trout 4.jpg Trout 6.jpg

4. Mean Gene

2nd day of fishing over on Henry's Lake was pretty good as well. First time I've ever fished that lake. Netted 10 and had 3 come unbuttoned. Damsels are almost ready to start popping.

Henrys 1.jpg Henrys 2.jpg Henrys 3.jpg Henrys 4.jpg

nebgoosehunter and Pastor like this.
  5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

You ever fished Hebgen?

6. Mean Gene

I haven't yet this year. Caught some nice fish there last year though.

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Long ago I heard that the waterfowling can be decent at Hebgen.

8. Mean Gene

I saw lots of geese there last year and a decent number of ducks.

Today I fished a lake that was very good to me last August but it was pretty slow. Netted 5 and lost a couple others. Still beats working.

9. MALLARD KEN

MALLARD KEN Elite Refuge Member

WOW !!! That looks awesome. Congrats on some great fishing... nice to see some posts on this states site. I have been here almost 5 years and can count on my two hands the number of members I’ve seen posted. I always like to read your sto. I guess I will start posting more and not lurk maybe it will catch on. Thanks again for the pics, very inspiring.

10. Mean Gene

Hey there Ken! Heck yeah post away. I'd love to see some action here. Billings it says. I've not spent much time there, basically just stopping for gas and lunch on my way through.

I did fish again on Saturday, and caught some nice ones, but didn't get around to putting up any pictures. Yesterday we spent the entire day into the evening helping some friends move. I brought over my 7x16 enclosed trailer and it was a good thing as we had a good rain in the afternoon. Would have been a disaster without it. Been having thunderstorms every afternoon/evening since we got here two weeks ago. It's my understanding that they've been occurring daily for the last month and a half. Had lightning strike a tree here in the RV park yesterday. Went down through and came out at ground level. Cut a big path in the grass and blew roots all over the place. I understand the guy in the trailer next to the tree didn't think too highly of that. :l I hate lightning and refuse to be out in it. I've never cared for it, but after I had one of my fire fighters on the engine get whacked 10 feet away from me I really learned to hate it. He did survive and is doing fine. In fact he's about ready to retire as a division chief. I still remember throwing him into the cab of the engine and running code 3 through town to get to the hospital. The other firefighters at the station cut him no slack. They wrapped his helmet in aluminum foil, attached an aluminum lightning bold to the helmet, and wrote "Sparky" across each side.

Nice thing about these T-storms is A) it cools everything down very nicely each day and B) the entire valley and surrounding mountains are lush green. Well, gonna hit the lake again tomorrow...we'll see how cooperative the fish are. :tu